• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Guess the Car Game

Ok i figured it out, but I had to use a bit of help from Google since it's kind of a custom coach built body. So I won't answer.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Custom coach....well then it seems a little unfair.
Not a one off body. 391 were, but only 39 with this body. here's the info minus the name.

Xxxxx manufactured cars in Great Britain from 1920 until 1967 and never officially imported their products to the United States.

The xxxxxx was produced from August of 1936 to 1940 with 391 examples constructed. 39 were given Tourer bodies. The xxxxxx were basically upgraded versions of the 3.5-liter Model and resting on a shortened 126-inch wheelbase. This is one of 39 Tourer xxxxxxx Models constructed. Of those, only seven, including this car, were fitted with the upgraded SC series engine.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

"RapidRabbit, post: 306538, member: 206"]Not a one off body. 391 were, but only 39 with this body. here's the info minus the name.

Xxxxx manufactured cars in Great Britain from 1920 until 1967 and never officially imported their products to the United States.

The xxxxxx was produced from August of 1936 to 1940 with 391 examples constructed. 39 were given Tourer bodies. The xxxxxx were basically upgraded versions of the 3.5-liter Model and resting on a shortened 126-inch wheelbase. This is one of 39 Tourer xxxxxxx Models constructed. Of those, only seven, including this car, were fitted with the upgraded SC series engine."

Your research is correct. Until recently, this particular car belonged to one of my neighbors. At one time he had 2 of them. It took 10 years to restore and was invited to Pebble Beach for the Concours several years back. Consider that the Pebble Beach show is limited to the finest 200 cars world wide and is by invitation only. This one is a spectacular example of a 1938 Alvis Speed 25 with Cross and Ellis coachwork. Fortunately, my neighbor enjoyed driving it as well and I had the pleasure of experiencing that car first hand.

Remember, back then, it was possible to order a chassis and have a coach builder fabricate the body to order. Consider that the original Cadillac Fleetwood had a body by Fleetwood, Some Rolls Royces had bodies by Park Ward, a number of Italian exotics have coachwork by Pininfarina, or Ghia. The Volkswagen Scirocco of the 1970's had a body designed by Giugiaro.

Yep....never would have guess that one. I have never heard of the Alvis Speed 25, much less the Cross and Ellis coachwork.

Prior to about 1930 coolant temperature gauges were generally not installed in the dashboards of cars so the aftermarket came up with a solution such as this that replaced the original radiator cap. Other than being a brass age car and car #119 at the Morgan Hill show, I do not know what make that particular car might be.

While I agree that it is likely a DeSoto, my recollection is that 1961 was the last production year for that Mark (One of my Mom's cousins had one). My guess is this one is either a 57 or 58 DeSoto. Not sure which model but quad headlights tended to be on the more deluxe models.

Back