• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Had my YOM plate appt. w/DMV today

johnpro

For those that haven't heard about it, effective July 1st, we can put Year Of Manufacture plates on our '69/older cars in California. This means cars like my '66 that have the current modern white/blue reflectorized plates can put the original black/yellow plates back on.

The law requires that they be original California plates in good condition, and that you have a pair of them. In other words, you can't make new plates and put them on.

So I go to register mine onto the car today. This isn't something that the DMV people are used to, as it's a new program, and, well, just doesn't effect enough people to make it commonplace at the DMV field offices.

I was at the guy's window for a solid hour as he tried to figure out what he's supposed to do. The guy was very nice, and seemed to be very diligent. He looked info on his computer, went into the back for a while, came back and poured for a half hour through a rack of manuals, but the funniest part was when he pulls what looked like a box of junk out from under his desk. He starts rummaging through the junk until he finally finds what he's looking for ... a memo on the YOM program with all kinds of hand written notes on it.

So, after an hour at the window, my application and photo copy (yes, a black and white photo copy of black/yellow plates) has been submitted to the DMV headquarters, and now I just wait to see if they approve my plates for my car.

The weirdest part, is that my registration expires in 12 days. I paid that with the application fee, and they gave me a temporary operating permit that's good until the end of October. Yes, after the 12th, if I want to drive the car on the streets, it'll have to sport the big red "10" in the windshield, which is normally a neon sign to California residents that screams "this car is a total POS and I can't get it registered correctly".

So if you run the old plates do the plates expire and you renew the registration and pay again?
I know the antique plates I have from Missouri I payed once and run with the plates they gave me until I sell the car. I think we can run YoM plates too but had not looked into it.

i heard that if you dont have a dmv sticker on the plate that corresponds with the year of your car they dont approve them

"Shrinkdude" said:
So if you run the old plates do the plates expire and you renew the registration and pay again?
I know the antique plates I have from Missouri I payed once and run with the plates they gave me until I sell the car. I think we can run YoM plates too but had not looked into it.

Not only do you renew every year, you pay a $40 (I think?) premium over your current plates. Although those of us that still have the original black/yellow plates on our cars still only pay the normal registration fee.

Hopefully I will recieveing my YOM tag back from Tallahassee this week. No photo copy here , you have to send them the actual plate for their blessing and pay a additional $12.00 per year ( right Pete ?)for the tag.

YOM Plates.... Southern style.

North Carolina allows you to utilize YOM plates on vehicles that are 30-35+ years old (I forget if it's 30 or 35...). Our system for doing so is much less aggravating. Here's what you do:

1. Register your car and receive your normal state issued license plate and copy of your registration.

2. Throw this crap in the trunk.

3. Install YOM plate.

That's it.

The first time I did this I inquired as to the legality of all of this? Are you sure? Really? Just throw the state issued plate somewhere in the car and install any old plate? I don't have to register the YOM plate with the state? Or somehow associate the YOM plate with my state issued plate? What if I decide to rob a bank and use my ole Mustang as the getaway car? How will witness reports of my YOM plate get the authorities to my home address? Their answer.... "I'm pretty sure we could find your car without having the real license plate number". I gave up arguing with them about it, but it seems to me that there should be some form that should be on file with the state associating the YOM plate with the state issued plate. To not do so is crazy.... For instance the East coasts main north to south corridor, I-95 is riddled with toll booths. Blowing through a toll booth without paying normally results in a letter showing up at your home address within a couple weeks with an amount due equal to much more than the original toll as the toll booth snapped a picture of your license plate. If using a YOM plate that's not tied to the vehicle, I could blow through toll booths at will w/o repercussion.... not that I'd actually do this of course, but I could.....

Enjot it while it last Dave. Every state is looking under rocks trying to find new ways to generate funds for their budget shortfalls these days,sadly it's probably only a matter of time before they catch on to this one.
Good 'ole Florida just basicly doubled the fees for Drivers License, registration,car tags ,etc. Sept.1st .

Here's EVERY WORD within the NC General Statute in regards to YOM plates:

Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person.

Pretty simple stuff!

They are right in some ways. How many people would use their classic in a crime? If they did, how many classics are there that match the description, Then, how hard would it be to find them. Now, if the car was stolen and used, the owner would be able to relate the numbers. As far as the toll booth, again, how many days do you think you could do this before they sit and wait for you? Once, they are not out to much, twice and your car will be listed in every police car.

It does seem a bit odd though.

Here is a cut and paste with my YOM plate ordeal..... Since TX requires an inspection for newer cars, I could not get a definitive answer regarding the safety inspection. I did scrape it off the window...

Well.....I went to the tag office at lunch and left there actually knowing less than when I went in. The lady did tell me that I could register it as an Antique or a classic. Antique had limitations to mileage and usage, typically for shows and parades she said. Classic allows for everyday usage or just whenever driving. I can use the YOM plates and register as either an Antique or classic. She could not give me a definite answer on the Safety inspection, and apparently wasn't planning to ask anyone, as to which or if either of them required the safety inspection. She did say she assumed its not needed for the antique, to which I asked why not if its driven in parades with people standing around.... I'm seriously considering scrapping off the safety sticker and just using the registration sticker in the window. I'll just put the safety inspection paperwork in the glove box with the Ins card and registration, just in case.

"jpyoung" said:
...produced upon the request of any person. Hey Dave show me your plate!

Something tells me the reply is gonna go something like this:

:bird "There is a plate in my finger, see it.."

John have you read Ragtop's dealings with the same problem? Be prepared to re-up that temp thing.....for quite a while.

I'm not running a YOM plate on my current classic. I did a few years ago on another car though.

I'm running a vanity plate on my '66.

Plate reads LAYN RBR

"Fast68back" said:
Something tells me the reply is gonna go something like this:

:bird "There is a plate in my finger, see it.."

Why do I suddenly have an image of the Three Stooges in action? Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck.

Back