• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Headers questions

Dne'

I bought some shorty thermal coated Hedman headers from summit. I have them here and I'm quite pleased. I was reading about the break in of the headers that was in the box. It says to use factory exhaust manifolds, or used headers for new motor applications, and to tune the motor before actually installing the new headers, so not to scorch them. I do have the factory exhaust manifolds and could put them in for the initial start up, but what I was wondering, what would I do for exhaust pipes and how long would they have to be? Could my local muffler shop make exhaust pipes, something cheap to get the job done? It would still be a month/s before actual start up.
dne'
IMG_8130.jpg

I would do as you mentioned, have a local shop bend up a couple pieces that you could just bolt a set of mufflers to for start up. Tell them you'll bring the car back when you get it dialed in and they may cut you a break.

that's great advice to tune without them on.
i got my Jet Hot coated headers glowing cuz the idle was too rich and timing too retarded.
kudo's to Jet Hot though because the finish still looks good.

Back