• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Heading to COTA for a 2 day Chumpcar Race

What a crazy day. Broken mount that leaked out the gear oil and cooked the gears. Fixed that and then the water pump pulley blew apart and then had an overheating problem all day. More work to go with changing the water pump. We did make it out to finish the race!

Damn. Bet those were fun to fix on a hot car while the race is going on.

Damn water pump!

67a4f181eff42035bab527a816976ba4.jpg

Made it home late last night. Not a lot of pics or video. It was a pretty hectic week/weekend!

We spent Sunday chasing an overheating problem, but still managed to get all driver stints in! Found that the new radiator was shit. Made bad and just didn't notice it until you held it up to the Sun and realized NO light was shining through. We swapped that out and was able to keep the temps below 250*. All the prior overheating had to have done some internal damage. The car normally runs 180-190*.

Final recap: HOLY F'N COW, COTA is the most awesome racetrack on this continent!! Driving on America's premier F1 track was an honor, a privilege and just one helluva good time. Describing it doesn't do it justice, you really do need to be there...drive it. Slow corners, fast carousels, long straights, crazy elevation changes...that track has it all. The facility was top notch and the garages were a racer's wet dream!

I can still drive a car in anger and even turn some fast laps! I was able to concentrate for a long time and had just enough energy to get me through the trip. A great car and even better teammates. It showed the true Chump spirit of never say die (pun intended).

FullSizeRender.jpg

Some video of the Esses.

Last edited:
I'm glad you were able to finally get back out there and do what you enjoy doing. Sounds like you had a blast. Now it is time to watch a video

Back