• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

help with wire

RustyRed

I figured out part of my problem is my gauge to firewall harness is old sliced together junk...hence my lack of volts at the coil.

So I drove down to Johns today and bought a new one.

I know where all the wires go minus one from study of the electrical assembly manual.

There is a white w read stripe that goes to the coil. Then there is a red w white stripe that I cannot figure out where it goes?

It appears to be attached to the distributor somehow??? The diagram in the manual is pretty unclear and the is no similar wire on the chopped old harness in my car.

here is wiring for 65/66.
Coil--- red/green wire
oilsender---white/red
tempsender--red/white.
Looks like you may have put the wrong wire on the coil if you are talking about a 65/66 mustang.

I would go off of wire/pin position in the connector rather than the wire color. I replaced mine recently with once I purchased from Mustangs Unlimited. The new one was made by Mr Mustang. The coil and oil pressure wire colors were the flipped versus the original plug.

"6t6red" said:
here is wiring for 65/66.
Coil--- red/green wire
oilsender---white/red
tempsender--red/white.
Looks like you may have put the wrong wire on the coil if you are talking about a 65/66 mustang.
This is correct.
I would go off of wire/pin position in the connector rather than the wire color. I replaced mine recently with once I purchased from Mustangs Unlimited. The new one was made by Mr Mustang. The coil and oil pressure wire colors were the flipped versus the original plug.
That's inexcusable! With that kind of quality control, why even continue using it? It needs to be returned!

ok, I just removed the roughly 50 miles of electrical tape on some of the old harness. There was a ton of tape holding a couple of "extra" wires to the harness.

I am pretty sure I know where everything goes now when I actually get around to putting everything in.

One odd thing is that I have an orange wire that is not part of the harness. It goes from the solenoid through the firewall, down the hump under the carpet and ultimately out the back (i.e. through the trunk floor) to the fuel sending unit. Not sure if that is correct or not?

Second issue...there are two plugs coming off my neutral safety switch. One is plugged where it should be (I think) but the other one was spliced into the engine gauge harness. There does not appear to be any other place to plug it. I think one of the two coming off the neutral switch is to control the ignition but I believe the other is for the reverse lights. I am going to have to figure out what the neck to do with the second plug that was spliced into the gauge feed harness.

Little by little but some of the wiring on this car is pretty screwed up with miles of electrical tape, strange splices, etc.

I started to get a bit frustrated with it but I am starting to sort it out. Had to come inside to deal with the kiddos but it is now not a big mystery to me why I wasn't getting enough volts at the coil for the Petronix to work....reminded me however why I have been putting off dealing with this particular harness however...

There is nothing more frustrating than a butchered harness, but I have faith in your trouble-shooting. The plug for the NSS should be a 4-wire plug that plugs in above the gauge harness on the firewall. You are correct that it controls the ignition circuit, and the reverse lights.
reverselight wires=== black/red
NSS ===red/blue
The red/blue runs thru the NSS back to the ign. switch and out to the coil and "S" post on the solinoid.

Regarding the orange wire that goes from the solenoid to the fuel sending unit...sounds almost like a fuel pump power line, but that needs to be tied into the solenoid switch so that it's only hot when the coil gets juice. Was it tied to the battery or to the I post?

"Midlife" said:
Regarding the orange wire that goes from the solenoid to the fuel sending unit...sounds almost like a fuel pump power line, but that needs to be tied into the solenoid switch so that it's only hot when the coil gets juice. Was it tied to the battery or to the I post?

I'd have to look to be sure but it is either tied to the I post or S post...I post I think. My general plan with that one for now is if it ain't broke, LOL!

I think I might be able to get it wired up enough to get it started again but likely my reverse lights won't be working. What I really need to do is get a new underdash harness from you at some point Mid. I made the mistake of looking under there this afternoon tracing some wires.

I've seen the NSS with one four prong plug that hooks in at the firewall but I've also seen them with two plugs with two prongs each which appears to be the way my car "should be".

Back