• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

hood Scoop question - what to do next?

mmw68

I have this MAIER RACING fiberglass hood scoop. It is the Mercury cougar eliminator style, and Iam not sure what to do next.

Should I just paint and bolt it on for show? Cut out a large hole, or maybe a few small holes below it for air flow? Have most folks been actually making the scoops functional?

Hummmm, maybe a beer would help?

scoop1.jpg

scoop2.jpg

scoop3.jpg

It is really a toss up. Functional really don't improve the running unless you seal off the air cleaner to the scoop. Then you get true cold air. Functional with just a hole in the hood allow air in to remove some engine heat but they also all dirt and rain into the engine bay. Just putting it on....you will get a lot of people asking if it is functional;....and then a look like why have it.....

I have had both....functional is more hassle.....and I like scoops on my cars.

Iam really tempted to do maybe three large holes under the scoop with my hole saw before I install the scoop. At least I'l get some air flow. Then Iam not a total poser with my scoop. :confu

I have that same scoop on my car and it is non-functional. I don't want the elements to screw with my electronics. If I had a carb'd engine or needed additional clearance I would cut the hood. If you don't need to cut it i wouldn't do it. it is easier to fix a few small holes later on if you want to go back to a stock hood.

functional...but its going to be fun with the filter and barrier to make sure about the water..if you drive yours in the rain...

here are pics from the drag car..I believe that is the same scoop the 429 scoop

196886_1836131298239_1089154121_2155959_1168249_n.jpg

190084_1836131538245_1089154121_2155960_7166479_n.jpg

as you can see craig cut the bottom of the hood to fit the air cleaner

198362_1836127178136_1089154121_2155947_3046553_n.jpg

Re: hood Scoop question - what to do next?

I didn't make my scoop functional .
I didn't want to deal with rain and dirt getting in.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

Re: hood Scoop question - what to do next?

I have Johnpro's hood which has the Shelby scoop on the 65. I cut a hole in it making it functional. I did feel a seat if the pants difference.

I plan on installing a screen in the front that will match my grill.

So whatever you do it will be great.

Mel

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

the drag car hood used to be on my red 67, with a 429. It was functional because the engine stuck out! I believe hood scoops in the center of the hood aren't all that great anyway. the air pressure is at the cowl or the front of the hood. I have the Eleanor "bump" now which provides clearance for the 429 but no opening for crud, water, etc. I would say if you just want the look but don't need it to work, just bolt it on.

I needed to cut out a hood scoop hole in my stock hood for clearance. Since there is an open hole in the hood, I carry a custom shaped piece of foam in my trunk for when I get caught in bad weather. Just stuff the foam in the hood scoop opening, and it blocks the majority of rain and grime.

While it might be a bit of work, you could make a cable operated internal flap to allow in air or not...just like Pontiac did from the factory:

0908phr_05_z%2B1969_pontiac_gto%2Bram_air.jpg

If you did that type setup, do electrically. Use a water activated switch.....rains so heavy, flap closes.....no rain, flap opens. Kinda like the wipers on some cars.

FUNCTIONAL :thu

Attachments

• 7-4-2010 Mustang.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 7-22-2010 Primered.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 4-3-2011 STANG.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 10
The write up on the 65 Shelby GT350 in June 1965 Mechanix Illustrated says the power of the little 289 under the hood was helped along with a functional hood scoop.

McCahill may have something. He looked very favorable at the GT350 compared to the Sting Ray and the AC Cobra. He liked all three, but really liked the GT350.

Mel

As was stated earlier, unless you are pulling fresh air directly from an area outside the heat of the engine compartment you are not going to see any gain. Cars with real ram air set ups like a Thunderbolt or sealed shaker scoops saw some minor gains. Something like a cowl-induction hood can give good results due to the high pressure in that area of the windshield IF the air is, again channeled and sealed off from the engine compartment. A small forward facing scoop like found on a GT350 that is not sealed to the intake will do very, very little to nothing for power gains.

Any "scoop" effectiveness comes from feeding the engine cooler (thus denser) or a larger volume of combustible oxygen. If you can somehow make the incoming air pressure greater than that within the intake/cylinder then you can also get a natural "supercharger effect" and force feed more intake charge into the combustion chamber. Hence the automotive term "ram-air".

They look good though.

"Horseplay" said:
As was stated earlier, unless you are pulling fresh air directly from an area outside the heat of the engine compartment you are not going to see any gain. Cars with real ram air set ups like a Thunderbolt or sealed shaker scoops saw some minor gains. Something like a cowl-induction hood can give good results due to the high pressure in that area of the windshield IF the air is, again channeled and sealed off from the engine compartment. A small forward facing scoop like found on a GT350 that is not sealed to the intake will do very, very little to nothing for power gains.

Any "scoop" effectiveness comes from feeding the engine cooler (thus denser) or a larger volume of combustible oxygen. If you can somehow make the incoming air pressure greater than that within the intake/cylinder then you can also get a natural "supercharger effect" and force feed more intake charge into the combustion chamber. Hence the automotive term "ram-air".

They look good though.

I was not questioning the science behind forced cold air induction. I totally get that and how it works. I find it interesting that this famous writer in 1965 found it worthy to note and made a comment.

I read the article last night in the June 1965 magazine and was amused that he preferred the 427 Cobra to the 65 Vette and the GT350 over the other two....

I can only say from my personal experience with my 65 FB that when the hood without the scoop was on it it was great, but when the hood with the functional shelby style scoop was put on there seemed to be a difference in the seat of the pants. I have no numbers to back this up, but I do know my engine runs cooler and maybe a cooler running engine performs better?

Whatcha think?

Mel

PS. My personal opinion is if you are going to have a scoop you should at least have the power plant to put your carb into it. If not you have no business having a scoop. Go ahead and flame away! MH

Mel,

I wasn't directing my post to yours at all. Simply trying to lay out the basic physics of how a hood scoop of certain design could add benefit.

Without actual data (and the intellect to use it!) I couldn't begin to detail the ability of a Shelby scoop to lower under hood temps and thus help to deliver cooler air from which the engine could draw it's needs. Based on the size of the front opening I would not think it could do much if anything. In comparison to the grill opening and other points of air entrance to the engine compartment I would have to believe not much, if any real air volume finds it's way through that scoop. The air pressure under the hood would, in all likelihood, be greater than that trying to come through the scoop.

The other thing about functional scoops....they have to catch the wind as it breaks over the front of the hood. Tape some string to the front of the hood, long enough to get into the scoop but not more than an inch or so in....drive at speed and see where the wind flows. You might be surprised.

Last night I ran into a guy at Sonic, who had a very nice 57 t-bird. We where comparing cars, and I noticed he had the OEM hood scoop taped up with duck tape from the inside. He was having issue with the car running correctly, and someone suggested he tape it up. Runs great now. He also mentioned that on the t-bird of that year they made a optional trim piece that filled in the hood scoop opening.

Back