• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hooker headers high temp paint

pnandy

does anyone have experience with these headers and finish got them for a steal new and wanted to know if i should re coat them with something else or should this paint be okay for now or would another high temp paint work better

I've never had much success with header paint. What initially looks to be great results, turns into peeling, flaking, rusty headers within a year or two.

Has there been success with powdercoating headers? This may be a reasonably priced alternative to having them professionally ceramic coated.

Same cost as buying them with ceramic and depending on the engine sometimes the ceramic is much cheaper. I have heard allot of good about blasting your painted headers clean then using the ultra high temp paint on them then baking them a 400 for several hours. I heard that makes a real hard finish that last.

i don't have an oven that would fit the long tubes nor do i have one that could be used for that. i've heard of people using heat guns with sucess and then they also just run hte engine with them for a couple mins shut it down and then reapeat to help the paint cure

Yeah some of these paints now have ceramic in them. I would suspect that if you pay a powder coating place to use their oven when they do a batch a fair price they would do it. In fact I would suspect that if they saw it work they might decide to make it a cheap mans way of ceramic coating an exhaust. I am going to do my intake and headers for my f-100 that way.

Back