• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

horrible day changing my clutch and still need help... please help

I replaced my clutch this weekend and can't get it back together. I put the clutch and pressure plate on the fly whell. Put the bell housing on the clutch and put the clutch fork with the throwout bearing on. All seemed good. Stabbing the tranmission, I can get the top bolts on, but cannont get the bottom bolts on. I have moved and pushed... Jacked it up, jacked it down.. took the cross member on and off.. I cannot get it on.... Any idea

The second problem is that car has no electrical power. I unplugged positive and negative when I pulled the starter.. Thought I was going to have to pull the fly wheel, but it looked fine. put the starter back on and connected positive and negative and everything was still dead. I noted the wire harness pulled from the firewall and plugged it back in.. Still no power.. No starter.. no radio... no nights.. I put another battery to make sure it was not dead.. same thing..

Any ideas??

Todd did you use a clutch alignment tool when you bolted the clutch to the flywheel? If not, the clutch disc is probably out of alignment. Also check to be sure when bolting the pressure plate down that you draw the bolts down incrementally around the pressure plate to keep it from binding and to make sure it's flat against the flywheel.

If you've done all that and still have problems you should be able to put the transmission in gear and turn the tailshaft to engage the input shaft splines into the clutch disc. DO NOT DRAW THE TRANSMISSION IN WITH THE BOLTS! You'll end up breaking something.

I don't know about your electrical problem. If everything worked ok before removing the battery cables it has to be something simple. Sleep on it and take a fresh look at it tomorrow.

just a thought, but did you check & make sure the t/o bearing slides over the retainer before assembling everything? I had the same problem you describe & eventually (after about 8 hrs) found that the t/o bearing that came with my clutch kit had a lip inside that wouldn't go over the retainer.

"toddwallace" said:
I replaced my clutch this weekend and can't get it back together. I put the clutch and pressure plate on the fly whell. Put the bell housing on the clutch and put the clutch fork with the throwout bearing on. All seemed good. Stabbing the tranmission, I can get the top bolts on, but cannont get the bottom bolts on. I have moved and pushed... Jacked it up, jacked it down.. took the cross member on and off.. I cannot get it on.... Any idea

The second problem is that car has no electrical power. I unplugged positive and negative when I pulled the starter.. Thought I was going to have to pull the fly wheel, but it looked fine. put the starter back on and connected positive and negative and everything was still dead. I noted the wire harness pulled from the firewall and plugged it back in.. Still no power.. No starter.. no radio... no nights.. I put another battery to make sure it was not dead.. same thing..

Any ideas??

ok.. I think I have things under control..

1.. Those shiny caps were for the shifter and back in place
2.. The electrical problem was a wire harness pulled loose from firewall..
3.. The transmission would not go flat to the engine block because of the clutch disk.. Guess Oreily's quality control is not that great. The splines in the clutch had imperfections (burrs or some metal) that would not let the transmission shaft go all the way in. I knew the plastic alignment tool was tight, but thought it was just the dowl.

Waiting for the new clutch to come in.. 1 full day waisted.. Had to take a day off today to finish up the job..

Todd,
If that resolves the issue then all I can say is that it could have been far worse.

Back