• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How crappy is windows vista?

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
I need to get my daughter a new laptop and they all seem to come with Vista. Being an XP user I have not very many good things about Visa, but this is when Vista first came out. Any words of advice?

"cmayna" said:
I need to get my daughter a new laptop and they all seem to come with Vista. Being an XP user I have not very many good things about Visa, but this is when Vista first came out. Any words of advice?

On the sucks ass scale of 1 to 10 it's about an 11.

Although it might be ok if you did not spend the last decade mastering XP.
I hate to say it but, Mac OSX is pretty sweet. It has some issues too.

I hated it but had to get it on my laptop. I still use XP at work. It really hasn't been that bad, although I prefer XP.

I hate it because I'm a classic Windows guy. I even have XP set to Classic mode to make it more like '98. I also run desktops, which run a modular setup (separate graphics, sound, etc), and Vista isn't known for being the most compatible system.

My gf has it on her laptop (which I'm using atm). I hate it, but she seems to like it ok. I think it'll be ok as long as your daughter isn't a power user.

I'm also a fanatic anti-Mac guy:p But that has deep-seated roots and has more to do with their corporate, money-grubbing policies than it does with their current OS, which actually runs most windows programs.

I really like Vista. I have had very few problems with it, and it seems extra user friendly. I'm just a computer dumb-a$$ though, so I'd take Sluggo's advise over mine tenfold. He da nerd.

She will most likely be ok with Vista. My wife's laptop has it which I am using since my laptop died. Mine had XP which I do like much better but the more I am into this laptop, it is becoming more friendly. Still not perfect but ok. I think you can still buy the XP as a separate program if I remember what a comp. "pro" was telling me. I know the new laptop I ordered will have Vista so I might as well get used to it.

I may have been a little short sided in my review. Vista is ok. I'm helping my daughter fix her laptop with vista on it because she can't seem not click every pop up she encounters, plus all her facebook junk.

The more I stumble around in it the more I like it. It is a complete knock off of Mac's Leopard with all the little gadgets and such,
with many more security issues. One thing I can tell you, I have been using a MacBook at work since feb and it's growing on me. It's nice not to have to be constantly vigilant in order to keep your os from getting raided.

You really don't have a choice unless you buy a MacBook. XP is going to be unsupported pretty soon.

Get the Vista unit and get on with it. Unless you want to wait for MicroShaft to introduce their new underdeveloped, security hole laden masterpiece of global domination.

Microshaft are releasing Windows 7 pretty soon..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

I personally hate the "Ram draining Vista"..it was a joke at the start but after the lastest Service Pack it is just ok. Still prefer XP.

No doubt Windows 7 will be just as crap when it comes out and you'll need no less than about 50GB of ram to get it started.

I've been Beta testing Win7 for a while now, an it isn't too bad. Think of it like Vista Ultimate SP2, it's basically rebranded vista. But to get it to run great, you'll need a minimum of 2gb of ram and at least a dual core processor. 4gb and quad core would run it nicely.

Reminds me of something I read recently:

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the
computer industry with the auto industry and stated,

'If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we
would all be driving $25 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.'

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release
stating:

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving
cars with the following characteristics (and I just love this part):

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash....... . Twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy
a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would
have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off
the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For
some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your
car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to
reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable,
five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five
percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be
replaced by a single 'This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation' warning
light.

I love the next one!!!

7. The airbag system would ask 'Are you sure?' before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and
refuse to let you in until you simulta neously lifted the door handle,
turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how
to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the
same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the 'Start' button to turn the engine off

PS - I'd like to add that when all else fails, you could call 'customer
service' in some foreign country and be instructed in some foreign language
how to fix your car yourself!!!!

Think I'll start out with Vista and if it gives me too much trouble, I'll reformat the HD to XP.

Both of my kids have Vista on their laptops. They (and I) have learned to live with it, but it is, without a doubt, the WORST operating system ever written.

You will need a minimum of 2 gig of ram and at least a 2 ghz processor for it to run right. It also has a REDICULOUS foot print, so make sure you get a large hard drive.

If the PC meets the above requirements, it probably won't crash that often, but you'll still find a lack of drivers, software that won't work on it, and lots of places where Windows no longer lets you change things on your own PC.

Microsoft's philosophy has always been ... Yes, our stuff is crap, but if you can throw enough hardware at it, it will give the perception of running ok.

From my time of dealing with windows, it seems that every other release is horrid.
3.11-did it's job, about it.
win95-horrible, just too unstable.
win98-better than 95, but took multiple updates to make it work right.
win me-Worst windows ever. Unstable as hell and would corrupt drives like it was made to.
win xp-wasn't good until the release of sp1(SP 1 solved the unmountable boot device error, I think). After sp3, it's pretty rock solid. Never had a problem after SP2.
Vista-took a service pack to make it usable, still flaky IMO. It's the new Win ME.
Win 7-My guess it'll be pretty good after the first SP, they're taking their time on this one, but that really doesn't mean anything.

Back