• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How did you pick your Mustangs color?

Kats66Pny

Was it originally that color and you wanted to keep it the same? Is there some sentimental reason behind the color... maybe you had a Mustang back in the day that had a certain paint job and wanted the next one the same color? Or maybe you just picked that color because it looks cool and not many are that color?

How/why did you pick the color of your stang?

I'm still a long ways a way from getting mine painted, probably tax return next year... but doesn't mean I can't start thinking about it now. My original idea was that deep beautiful candy apple red, but now I'm rethinking the color. Now I'm thinking black with silver lemans stripes. I don't see many of that color around my town (I like to be unique!), and I think it would look pretty sweet with shiny chrome and billet gas cap and taillights. Decisions...ugh!

My 65 is very close to being ready for paint.... I'm still not 100% sure on color...... I've been getting small amounts of paint from my supplier and painting things to see it on a part and out in the sun. Right now it looks like its gonna be Vermilion (blood red) with Charcoal metallic stripes. I suppose anything is better than the primer I've been rollin in!

Black is beautiful but can be high maintenance to keep looking good. Black also shows imperfections more so than any other color. Make sure you have a competent body shop if going with black.

Mine has been in the "it's gonna get painted soon" phase for quite a while!! I knew what color scheme I wanted -- white with blue stripes, but I'm not a fan of the traditional colors. So, where I go, I keep my eyes open for the perfect white and blue. I finally settled on the colors, now it's just getting the money together to get it done!!

the two cars i currently have will be painted colors that i've used on customer's motorcycles. the 36 p/u will be a one year only nissan copper & my special formula of black (i painted a honda shadow with the copper a couple years back). the mustang will get a med metallic blue pearl from a non imported BMW motorcycle (a code isn't even available in the US for that, had to get a painted part scanned). every now & then i do a job & when i open the paint, i think "i'll use this on something someday".

actually, its rare that i already have the colors chosen for these two. color usually gets picked a few days before i am ready to paint. the colors on my 40 coupe were taken from 2 new cadillacs that were sitting beside each other on the lot. just happened to be there when they were unloading them & they looked good sitting together. :craz

"RyanG85" said:
Black also shows imperfections more so than any other color.
Oh yeah, you're right. I didn't even think about that. Since I'll be using it as a daily driver, not sure I really want to mess with the upkeep of black. Not to mention little dings and dents from rocks and such. Yuck! Is a silver color easy to keep looking good? Maybe I could go silver with black stripes.

I wanted a Ford color, so I went to the Ford Dealer and drove around and looked at colors I liked. I saw Sonic Blue on a Ranger and knew that was the color I wanted.

Don't be so quick to pass on the black. Those of us in that camp (and many others) will tell you that there is nothing better looking than a sharp black paint job. They may be a bit more on the upkeep side but come Saturday night, it's more than worth it.
FWIW, with today's products, it's really not that much more work to keep 'em shiny.

Personally, I'll pass on black. I've had a black car, and it ain't no fun to get in when it gets to 115°. I accidentally left my multimeter in the car. And it warped the plastic housing and dial. I had to guess where the settings were. It also killed my radar detector.

I always wanted to try this but never did: Put a frozen dinner on the dash when I got to work, so I could have a hot meal come lunch time. :craz

Our first '66 was painted to match a '96 Cougar XR7 we had. Trouble is, we sold the XR7 before the Mustang was done. It was a factory Ford paint that was a light blue that changed from that to grey to lavender and such. We enjoyed the color very much.

Bought a black '07 GT Vert. new. Loved it when clean, hated getting it to that point.

The other three '66's the '00 and the '87 were bought already painted.

How did you pick your Mustangs color?

All of my colors have been from other cars that I've seen. It's really tough to stand there in the paint supply store and look at small squares of color in a paint code book. It's easier to see the color on a larger object... like on a car that's driving down the road with a color that catches your eye. I'll probably be re-painting my sig pic '66 in the next few years. I'm really leaning towards a brilliant blue with white stripes. Something like this... okay, exactly like this:

57383d1230004553-unique-performance-1965-mustang-gt350-sr-colour-code-gt350sr-5.jpg

Dave, that looks like Ford's "Brilliant Blue" color. My Roush was Sonic Blue. A very dynamic color but unfortunately (in my opinion) there is a shade of purple that becomes evident in just the right (wrong) lighting conditions (see example below). The car normally looks like the color seen in the quarter panel area but look at the front end in the picture. Nothing like the chameleon paint jobs but still the effect is present. That's one thing to really consider when picking a paint (color). Not a lot of fun to find out that once perfect red looks a bit more orange under the mid-day sun. Nothing beats seeing a painted example firsthand to judge final paint color.

My coupe is its original Sunlit Gold, although I had it repainted in 1983. When my father ordered the car in 1968, he wanted yellow, my mother wanted red, and I wanted lime gold, so he compromised and ordered the Sunlit Gold. I thought about changing it back in 1983 but then realized I could never find my car in a parking lot if I did that. I love the gold.

When I was designing Trouble, I knew I wanted a special blue. I kept looking at a lot of modern cars and never saw anything quite right. Then, I saw an article in Mustang Monthly about a special order 1966 coupe that was painted Sapphire Blue, which was a 1966 Thunderbird and Shelby color. I loved the pictures in the magazine, but knowing how color changes in print, I went and had a pint mixed up and tried it out with a brush on the headlight bucket. It was absolutely perfect! The stripes on the car are the real Hertz Gold, which is a gold dust mixed in clear.

"70_Fastback" said:
Nice driveway - but how do you shovel snow on that bad boy?
I use homemade equipment, actually. Usually it's my son but occasionally I'll employ my daughter as well. :lol

It's shovels all the way. Keep the angle fairly flat and it works fine. One nice thing is that with the dark color it retains enough heat on the days the sun shows that most of the snow just melts as it lands. Takes a fairly heavy snow fall to really start to accumulate on all but the really coldest days.

It was easy for me, the car was originally silver blue, I liked it and I didn't see very many that color.

Nobody sees the colors you do.......your car was really red originally and is now green. :lol

I always wanted a black on black fastback. As a kid, that was my dream car. When it came time to pic a color it was easy... so I thought.

I did a little research on black paint, and boy was I in for a surprise. Apparently, there are many different shades of black; not to mention the idea of metal flake and/or pearls. In the end, I went with the blackest black I could find with no metal flake or pearl effects. I just wanted the deepest gloss black possible.

The final decision was Dupont's Super Jet Black, but of course that paint material cost about double of what normal PPG base coat, clear coat paint systems cost. Overall, I couldn't be happier with the end result. The only down side is keeping it clean. If my car was a daily driver, black would be a PITA. However, since I only drive it on occasion, it's really not an issue. Plus, when all the major projects were completed, it's nice to have something to keep me busy... the joy of polishing and waxing that shiny black paint. :coo

I'm usually a stickler about keeping a classic mustang the same color as it was when new. Both my fastback and coupe were diamond blue originally but I had designed my fastback in my head for many years before I actually bought it or started to build it so I knew no matter what color it was originally it would be whibledon white with guardsman blue stripes. I obviously repainted the coupe back to it's original diamond blue color.

The original color of my stang was a green metallic according to the numbers. I'm not fond of that color at all. Reminds me of swamp water or something.

Back