• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How do I install firewall pad pins?

BillEBobb

Everybody,

I'm looking for some type of "trick" (or "special tool") to install the retaining pins into the firewall pad on my '69.

I've worn myself out trying to get those swarmy devils in, but alas, they will not stay. :expl

Help!

Thanks, Bill

Which ones do you have, IIRC there are soft rubber ones and hard plastic ones. The rubber ones I put a small screwdriver inside them and pushed them thru. The hard plastic I started them and then pulled them from the engine bay, both are kind of a PIA.

Being a 69, his is the soft rubber one. Yes a screw driver or a long skinny flat ended drift.

"cmayna" said:
Being a 69, his is the soft rubber one. Yes a screw driver or a long skinny flat ended drift.

Yup, you're right. They're the soft rubber type. I was afraid that a screw driver would rip through to the end. I was using a long, skinny extension to push the tip through -- to no avail. :(

When I can get some help, I'm going to try pulling the tip with lock pliers from the engine side.

I tried the screw driver method and I kept busting through the tip of the rubber plug.

I would use a small bolt to just get the tip started in the hole, then pull it though on the other side. I didn't use needle nose though, they didn't grab enough surface area and I ripped off portions of the plug as well. I ended up just using regular pliers.

I even cheated and enlarge the firewall holes just a very small amount to help facilitate the installation.

Hire a nipple tweaker.....I hired kbmwrs to help me and while I was pushing with a drift from the cabin side, he carefully grabbed the tip of the plug and gently rotated and pulled helping to prevent the plug from bunching up at the firewall hole.

He's pretty cheap and knows how to tweak.

"cmayna" said:
Hire a nipple tweaker.....I hired kbmwrs to help me and while I was pushing with a drift from the cabin side, he carefully grabbed the tip of the plug and gently rotated and pulled helping to prevent the plug from bunching up at the firewall hole.

He's pretty cheap and knows how to tweak.

And I can use both hands at once....calling Dr.Zarkoff, alling Dr.Zarkoff..... :naug

I called a friend to come over and help. It took less than a minute (with two people!)

I pushed and he pulled! :toot

There's just no way that I can see one guy doing it alone! :roulette

Thanks everybody!

bILL

Back