• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How is everyone finishing the underneath of their car?

"Laurie S." said:
I striped mine, and no, I don't have a rotisserie.

tunder18.jpg

nice! thats way more than I will do, but it looks great. I don't have a rotisserie either, but the shell is up on 55 gallon drums so it's almost 4' up in the air right now, and I want to finish the underneath before it comes down onto a dolly.

Last edited by a moderator:
We do it two ways, base coat /clear coat. Or we spray on U-Tech etch primer, then spray our Vortech bed liner material. No the bed liner material doesn't add a lot of weight.

OK, thanks very much for all the input. I think I am going the POR15 route, or maybe a combination of POR15 and semigloss rustoleum. not a show car, but I do want it to look nice when I am under there changing the oil or working on something else, and definately want to keep future rust at bay.

probably 70% of the metal under my car has been replaced, not sure how the POR15 will do with the EPDM primer coating on the new pieces, but will definately use it on the original metal, then maybe topcoat everything with the rustoleum. if my thinking is valid, this keeps it affordable, something I can do myself, and should make any future touchups easy.

You shouldn't need more than a quart of Pors-15 if you are going to brush it on. That stuff goes a long way but if you have any left over it doesn't have a long shelf life. When you brush it on it levels out pretty good also.

"mustangstofear" said:
We do it two ways, base coat /clear coat. Or we spray on U-Tech etch primer, then spray our Vortech bed liner material. No the bed liner material doesn't add a lot of weight.
The thing with the bed liners that always concerned me was their texture. I would think that would lend itself to the collection of road grime, etc. What I find appealing about using one would be the sound deadening I assume one would gain.

Thoughts?

"6t6red" said:
You shouldn't need more than a quart of Pors-15 if you are going to brush it on. That stuff goes a long way but if you have any left over it doesn't have a long shelf life. When you brush it on it levels out pretty good also.

thanks, never used it before, been reading up on it, seems like it's pretty thin and goes a long way. I thought I might need 2 quarts but looks like 1 will be plenty. I wish I had some way to get it all down in the cowl area, I got some comparable rattlecan stuff from Eastwood for that with a long flexible extension, I am hoping I can get good coverage down in there also (not to change the subject but since we're talking about POR15).

"Horseplay" said:
The thing with the bed liners that always concerned me was their texture. I would think that would lend itself to the collection of road grime, etc. What I find appealing about using one would be the sound deadening I assume one would gain.

Thoughts?

I was wondering the same things. I did have my new stainless gas tank line-x'd when I had my truck bed done, but wasn't sure whether to do the rest of the underneath or not. when I built my last motorcycle a couple years ago my painter used rattlecan bedliner (rustoleum I think, it seems to be thinner than the others) on the inside of my raw steel fenders and it's holding up great...

"steveh326" said:
thanks, never used it before, been reading up on it, seems like it's pretty thin and goes a long way. I thought I might need 2 quarts but looks like 1 will be plenty. I wish I had some way to get it all down in the cowl area, I got some comparable rattlecan stuff from Eastwood for that with a long flexible extension, I am hoping I can get good coverage down in there also (not to change the subject but since we're talking about POR15).

I would ask Justin "gtscode", his method to coating the cowel is genius.

"abrahamfh" said:
I would ask Justin "gtscode", his method to coating the cowel is genius.

if you're serious, I'd love to hear what he does, looking for any and all ideas. how do I post to a specific person? hell I even thought about plugging the drain holes on the sides, then pouring in about 3 gallons of POR15 thru the top vents till it was almost up to the top of the tophats... but I don't think that would be practical OR affordable...

Sorry. Didn't see the above was posted while I was typing.

If I remember correctly, he used some funnels with some flexible tubing attached at the ends. Placed the tubing through the cowel vents and started pouring. He engineered this threaded rod inserted through the side access holes of the cowel with a attachment at the end which he attached first a razor blade to clean it up and then a brush to get it all covered evenly.

It has been a while so hopefully he will notice the post and correct me if I missed something and or add to it.

I really see no reason to paint the bottom side, top side colors. I use Sems trim black and move on.

Factory pink primer. I figure if it survived this long who am I to cover it up? Just wiped the road grime off with mineral spirits.

"Jack1966" said:
I used Zero Rust for the extra protection factor ( the red oxide was kind of similar to the original color on this San Jose car).

+1

I used all black Zero Rust... brushed on.

"6t6red" said:

Put your left over Por-15 or KBS is what we use and put it in the frig. It will last for months.

Also helps to put in smaller container to limit the amount of open space in the container. A full container of POR15, sealed proper will last forever.

The underside of my car is done in full gloss body color. I don't believe I have ever seen stripes on the bottom side of a car before.

Attachments

• IMG_6490.JPG
    772.4 KB · Views: 172
I just used some 2 year old por15 to paint my new workbench. I originally used it to paint my car. If you seal it well it will last. You may end up destroying the can when you open it the second time. If you put Saran wrap on top of the can before resealing the lid it comes off much easier.

I poke 4 holes in the tops of all my paint cans, this way it drains back in the can. Then I take a paper towel and wipe the rim completely clean. If you don't clean the rim you WILL destroy the lid and the can trying to get it off. Now if your just using any primer or some miracle epoxy primer the lid will come right off.

Back