• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How much of your car is actually "original" to the car?

I was sitting here thinking about and I could only think of a few items that are actually "original" to my car.

All Glass (minus LH vent window glass) and regulators
exterior Stainless trim (window)
Sheetmetal, minus Decklid and rear valance, RH rear qtr extension and driver side toe board.
Dashpad
Door panels
armrests
Window Cranks
Seat frames (minus rear upper seat back)
Seatbelts
wiring harness (minus back-up light switch and ignition switch)
taillight buckets
rear interior panels (uppers and rear corners only)
Steering column (minus firewall seal)
Radio bezel (but its been cut)
Rear Shackles
Center piece of wide grill molding
Brake light switch
Fuel filler neck
Pedal Assy, but its been modded with bearings

Oh, and the parking light assy in the front valance, new bulbs and gaskets though

"Laurie S." said:
My coupe--a heck of a lot.

My fastback--not so much. :rofl

If you had to put a percentage on your coupe, what percentage is "orginal" to the car and not NOS, Repop, replacement part, etc.?

I dunno, I'd guess 65%. The only things that have been replaced in the interior are the front seats (originals in my garage) and carpet. Sheet metal is original, block/timing cover, wiring (mostly).

Not original on my coupe would be the upholstery, seat foam, headliner, dash, steering wheel, carpet, and door panels. The sun is a killer out here and my car sat outside in Phoenix for almost five years. The door panels, however, are original Ford. I've also replaced the instrument gauge pod, again with a Ford original part. I have one more left if it becomes necessary to swap again. Same with the wheelcovers. The trunk mat is a reproduction, the correct one. Picks, shovels, and muddy boots don't work well with trunk mats. The a/c compressor was changed out years ago. I also changed out the washer reservoir with a Ford original. Most of the swaps I did were done back in the early 1980s when you could get the original replacement parts. I swapped out the taillight lenses about 10 years or so ago. I've kept many of the original parts and have always thought about repairing them and replacing them on the car (e.g., steering wheel).

not much of my car is original:
Rear quarter glass and RH door glass is original, but new regulators
lower exterior Stainless trim around windsheild, the rest is OEM but from different car
Sheetmetal:
Roof, cowl, RH door, rocker panels, trans tunnel and rear floor around shocks are original. NOS rear valance, An OEM LH door from another 67. Repop floors, rear frame and trunk floor, Partial firewall and everything forward of firewall is new. Repop fenders and quarter panels, fabricated tail-light panel and repop cowl kick panels. Of course FB hood, deck lid nose, etc. are not original.
Dashpad is original (redyed)
All New interior, carpet, upholstery, seat foam, trim, chrome parts, handles, sun visors, door panels, etc.
68 Seat frames front and rear (upholstered to look like 67's)
new Seatbelts
most of wiring harness is original, but all new switches (TS, Headlight, dimmer, etc.)
rear interior panels are OEM from a 68
new headliner
Steering column is original but new TS switch and swap meet OEM 67 steering wheel
OEM Radio bezel (but its been cut), maybe from a 68 can't remember
entire suspension, UCA, LCA, springs, shackles etc are "Grab-A-Track" and Lincoln Versailes 9" rear and Granada spindles, and obviously engine and trans are not original.
Repop 67 Shelby Grill and light buckets
Brake light switch is OEM
Fuel filler neck is original, new gas tank and sending unit
Pedal Assy, but its been modded with bearings and OEM pads and SS trim
repop turn signals and back-up lights
rear bumber brackets are original
there might be some screws, nuts & bolts and other small parts too...

My list will be shorter on what's not original.
Magnums
spoilers
engine
slats
fuel tank and sender

Not original but nos replacements
grille
left headlamp extension
left front fender
front valance
front bumper
stone guard

all except rims, engine, front and rear bumper the camera case cluster trim, steering wheel, radio have the orginal radio but the orginal piece was cut for the current one. maybe a few other things but that's all i can think of off the top of my head

How much of your car is actually "original" to the car?

Yikes, not much.

Original components consist of:

All metal above the belt-line (roof, A pillars, etc.)
Headliner bows
Ash-tray
Rear seat FG surround panels and trim pieces
Rear glass

Hmmm, let's see...

Roof
3/4 of the RH rear 1/4 panel
2/3 of the floor pans from firewall to the fuel tank
firewall
cowl
Both front fenders although one is a repro from before my ownership
Shock towers back to the firewall