• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How-to cowl

B67FSTB

The NorCal dude from Belgium
In the future I'm gonna install a new cowl on the 67 fastback. Saw some vids on how to.
I need some thoughts on how you would install them and why.
Option 1 : install first lower section and then the top section ..or
Option 2 : install it as a "box" , meaning upper and lower parts first together and then as a whole to the car.
I am leaning to the "box" version but maybe someone has an different approch because of mechanical reasons.
Bring it on .

I would recommend installing the lower section first, firmly attaching it to the firewall and sides, insuring a correct fit. If you build a box (2 piece cowl) first, it might be slightly out of square and not fit the car as needed.

I am leaning to the box type install cause doing it one by one , I think you have some problems/hard time to meet the welding lips at the windshield side.??
Doing the "box" install , you also can align the holes for the wiper pivots properly ?? Just my thoughts.

8373249ef480654206f6f7a7f4686e01.jpg

Last edited:
And cleaning up / removing old cowl.....with the right boots ...Terry !
Did some measurement on the spotweld distances.
Upper and lower cowl spotweld distances are about 6cm = 2.5 inch ?
Upper cowl to dash is every 3cm = 1.25 inch ?
3c7a5f634c43b5dd2bb5ac03a43ca11a.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Last edited:
When I restored my 66, I removed the outer cowl to clean up and reseal the hats. While it was apart, I painted the entire inside of the cowl the car color. I got lucky and had a good cowl to start with. I wanted to be sure it lasted the rest of the car’s life.

Back