• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How to fix a warped license plate ??

70 StangMan

Donator
Does anyone have a secret on how to take the "warp age" out of a license plate ?? (You know the kind I mean...top to bottom.. side to side??) So that it will lay flat without damage to the plate ??? :shrug

"70 StangMan" said:
Does anyone have a secret on how to take the "warp age" out of a license plate ?? (You know the kind I mean...top to bottom.. side to side??) So that it will lay flat without damage to the plate ??? :shrug

I've gently stepped on a few before and it helps, but have not been able to get them completely flat.

like going from this:

ShagPlatesB.jpg

to this:

IMG_2795.jpg

are you trying to save the paint or will you be repainting?

This is a 1970 plate that I definitely do not want to damage the paint on. Thinking maybe slight heat from a heat gun from the back and then add weight till cool ??

i know... more questions, but are you planning on running this on the car? i see alot of plates that have this "twist" to them. if you are going to run it on the car, a small frame will generally flatten it out. you might try laying it across your leg or something soft, like a rolled up towel & tweaking it a little & see if that helps. when plates are stamped, it stretches & stresses them something awful. doesn't take much for them to spring out of shape like that. if you can flex it & feel where the stress point is, you can usually push on it a little & get some of that out. hope i'm explaining this so you can understand. it's kind of a "feel" thing & understanding stretched metal...

GO GATORS! should be fun to see billy d. go against pitino sat...

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
i know... more questions, but are you planning on running this on the car? i see alot of plates that have this "twist" to them. if you are going to run it on the car, a small frame will generally flatten it out. you might try laying it across your leg or something soft, like a rolled up towel & tweaking it a little & see if that helps. when plates are stamped, it stretches & stresses them something awful. doesn't take much for them to spring out of shape like that. if you can flex it & feel where the stress point is, you can usually push on it a little & get some of that out. hope i'm explaining this so you can understand. it's kind of a "feel" thing & understanding stretched metal...

GO GATORS! should be fun to see billy d. go against pitino sat...
Yes....as soon as I send it off and get it back from Tallahassee (to be authenticated for Y.O.M.) it will go on my car. This one is a 14 (Marion County) that I was born, raised and still live in and will replace the 3 (Hillsbourgh County ) I have on there now. I will try some tweaking and see what happens. Thanks.

"silverblueBP" said:
Drive one of those big road paving rollers over it.
I was wondering when you would chime in with ever-so-anticipated-but- completely- useless advice. :nut

"70 StangMan" said:
I was wondering when you would chime in with ever-so-anticipated-but- completely- useless advice. :nut

If I don't have any "useful" advice, what would you prefer me to do?

"RustyRed" said:
Go clean your ears? That probably takes a good deal of time, huh? :Mark

Oh yeah, that really helps Dale with his problem.

"silverblueBP" said:
Oh yeah, that really helps Dale with his problem.
It will take a lot more than the group of people we have around here to help Dale with his problem

In my experience, you can't take out a twist like that. It's there to stay. A frame is the only way to hold it flat. I suppose maybe if you secure it flat and then heat treat it it might work, but then you'd ruin the paint.

That's about the most severe twist I've seen.

Frank

"Horseplay" said:
It will take a lot more than the group of people we have around here to help Dale with his problem.
Truer words have never been posted. :bowdown

I'd put it in the oven at 350* for 30 minutes and see if it de-warps.

In reality, a bit of dolly/hammer work on the flats (work from the outside in) should remove the twist.

Back