• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I never thought finding a painter would be this hard

steveh326

starting to look for a painter for my 66. called the few I know, they are all booked for 6+ months out. talked to one today who is willing to take a look at it, but I've never seen his work and it scares me a little to trust my baby to someone I don't know.

I'm not looking for anything too exotic, but it's a bigger project than a single color spray or a quick fender repair that most of the collision shops around here are looking to do. add in a new Maryland assinine law that is banning solvent based paints eff june 1 and that's putting a lot of the smaller specialty painters out of business too due to the cost to convert to water based paint.

Steve,

Nothing is more satisfying than learning how to paint a car yourself. You save a large chunk of $$ and learn a new skill. You need a garage, good size air compressor, a couple of good paint guns and patience to learn. The body work is the hard part! Seems most paint shops these days only want to do quick fixers paid for by insurance.

I am in Mt. Airy. I actually have painted a couple cars and motorcycles in my past, although my work was OK it was no where near the quality I want on the mustang.

Luckily, my 1st choice painter called me back over the weekend, going up to meet with him later this week to talk about what I'd like to have and get a rough guestimate on cost.

Back