• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I think I need to lower my car

jmbour66

I would like to get your opinions on what I should do to give my car a better look.

And please don't say "trade it on an earlier model"

Attachments

• 73 vert.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 147
  • 73 vert wheel.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 140
I think it is a great looking car. Nothing wrong with that body style.
The back end looks a little high. I would take off the Chrome strip across the sides maybe. Just my .02

"RapidRabbit" said:
I think it is a great looking car. Nothing wrong with that body style.
The back end looks a little high. I would take off the Chrome strip across the sides maybe. Just my .02

thanks,

When I got the car back again it had a sagging rear end (typical of the 71-73), so I probably over compensated that.

I would love to get rid of the chrome strip, but I'm not sure how involved that is....

When I bought my car it had a sagging back end too. So I put new springs in. now I want to lower it so I need to change them again.

"jmbour66" said:
I would like to get your opinions on what I should do to give my car a better look.

If its just the look you want to change, how about some other rims? They can change the whole looking of an car.

"RapidRabbit" said:
"jmbour66" said:
thanks,

I would love to get rid of the chrome strip, but I'm not sure how involved that is....

Most of those strip were help on by double stick tape and pop rivets. Some had pop rivets all along the pieces and some had then only near the ends.

If the ends are metal tipped, I bet there are rivets. Some styles did not have metal ends and only used the tape.

Look under the fender or near the door ends for evidence of the rivets. Also, when warm, the rubb er center should slip out and then expose any mounting rivets.

What size are the wheels? Maybe step up to a taller tire/wheel combo if it bothers you that much?

And I agree that a different wheel can TOTALLY change your perception of the car.

"70_Fastback" said:
What size are the wheels? Maybe step up to a taller tire/wheel combo if it bothers you that much?

And I agree that a different wheel can TOTALLY change your perception of the car.

The wheels are 17 X 8, and until this post I liked them :shrug!

My problem is I've been slacking off from work today looking at all the gorgeous cars on this site and it just got me thinking about what I should have done different or need to do different.

I don't think anyone said they didn't like the wheels. Sometimes its just the easiest way to change the look and attitude of a car. If you like them don't worry about what others say.

I was only kidding. That's the fourth set I've had on the car. If I changed them again they would have to come with a divorce attorney! Thus I'm looking for alternatives to improve the look and allow for more wrench time as this is my therapy (I'm sure it is for most of us).

Here's my example. My car has been through 3 sets of wheels since I've owned it. I also bought a set of magnums but they technically never made it in the car.

DSC01940.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

DSC00860.jpg

Now I think I want something different again, but I'm not changing them anytime soon .

Last edited by a moderator:
If it makes you feel better, I'm not a fan of the current wheels. They just don't have that "period" look...to me.

You could change the tire profile to help fill up the gaps.

For instance, when I ran street tires, I had 215/60-15's (26"), they completely filled the wheel openings. Track rubber is 225/45-15 and the shorter tire (23") leaves a lot of extra space.

"silverblueBP" said:
If it makes you feel better, I'm not a fan of the current wheels. They just don't have that "period" look...to me.

You could change the tire profile to help fill up the gaps.

For instance, when I ran street tires, I had 215/60-15's (26"), they completely filled the wheel openings. Track rubber is 225/45-15 and the shorter tire (23") leaves a lot of extra space.
My thoughts exactly. In my opinion, Magnum 500s look great on those cars. 235/65R15s up front and 255/60R15s in the rear. The stance looks pretty good, just not enough rubber to fill the wheel wells.

Back