• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I thought I warped or cracked a head.

68EFIvert

A couple weeks back I had my fan go out on me and the engine went up to 250 degrees. I replaced the fan, changed the oil and everything looked fine. That is until this weekend when I drove the car home from a show and it was spewing antifreeze all over the garage floor. I couldn't tell what it was but it looked like it was coming from the overflow tank. My first thought was I screwed the cap up so I went to the part store and they said I likely cracked a head and it was exhaust gas causing the extreme pressure.

I then decided to do a pressure test. Pumped it up to 13 lbs and let it sit. I came back out to the garage and antifreeze was all over the ground. I tracked the leak to the lower radiator hose. Evidently I forgot to tighten the clamp all the way and it was seeping out. I dodged a bullet with that one! :dance

Moral of the story, always check the easy stuff before you go to far. I rarely do that and find out to late.

Did you go back and smack that parts geek? (parts geek is a term I use loosely and does not include Napaguy...) I doubt very seriously you would do too much damage at 250 degrees unless it heat soaked like crazy after you shut it down.

Good catch! I've done enough of the "thinking the worst" and starting with that in the past, I start with the simple things these days. Only took me 40 years to figure that one out :doh

Back