• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I took my Mustang auto crossing today! I am hooked!!!

68EFIvert

I went to the Portland Historic Races today and in the infield they had an autocross track setup. There were a lot of Evo's, WRX's, Porsche's, Z cars, BMW's and other cool cars there. The guys told me that the course was very tight and not a great fit for my car but that I did well. I felt a little out of place with my old iron.

The course started out with a slalom then some pretty tight turns. The far end had a couple 90 degree corners to send you back via a series of real tight corners. I basically had to go lock to lock to get through them. My car pushed a lot and I couldn't use as much as my power as I would have wanted. When ever I jumped on it my rear tires would go up in smoke. My first pass was alright. I did it in 50.81. The guys doing the course said that the older cars were doing the course in about this time. I was looking at a record lap from a BMW race car that did it in light 38 IIRC. That must have been quite a rid!

I gained some confidence on the second round and a passenger from my club. I went through the slalom much quicker and decided that I would use my power to my advantage. When I came to the back section I tried to slide the rear around to get ready for the next turn. That worked much better and I had a time of 47.16. I didn't run any more since the line was getting quite long and it was really HOT! Right after me there was a factory prepped Rousch car complete with cage. He did it just under 44 sechonds.

I think with a few more rounds I could have gotten it down to 45 or so. If I take my Mustang out much more I need wider stickier front tires and a different alignment to get the most out of this car. I don't think I will do that but it gives me a lot of motivation to get my Volvo P1800 done so that I can use it! ;)

I was going to have my friend from the club take pictures on the 2nd run but he wanted to ride with me.

AutoX is fun...for awhile. Then the need for speed kicks in and before you know it, you'll be at a HPDE weekend!!

Back