• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Ignition Wiring

kb3

The previous owner really hacked the wiring in my 67. They installed a 84 vintage electronic ignition system that has decided it no longer wants to work. There was a rats nest of wiring with connections held together with either electrical tape or wire nuts. So yesterday I started cleaning up the wiring, and then I ran into trouble. I pulled the ignition switch off and all the wires were broken and taped right at the switch. I need think I can just put new spade connectors on the back of the switch, but need to know what wires go where. Here is my list of problems:

1. The electronic ignition shows to be wired like the drawing below. What terminal on the switch would be the start wire to go to the white wire on the module and what wire goes to the coil? I assume the one coming out of the firewall plug would be for the coil?

2. The second drawing shows a wire coming from the I terminal on the solenoid to the coil. The previous owner just ran a wire across the engine from the solenoid to the coil, yes just draped over the engine. Did the original wiring harness use the I terminal? if so where did it run to?

3. I am thinking about scrapping the whole electronic ignition and simplify the system with either a Petronix or a newer HEI conversion. Any thoughts on that?

Attachments

• photo (7).jpg
    photo (7).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IgnSwWiring.jpg
    IgnSwWiring.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 34
wow...they have the exact drawings that help with the Duraspark (the electronic ignition name I was forgetting) as well as the original setup. They also have the ignition switch wire diagram. Now to make it all work as one!

Thanks so much.

Back