• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I'm skurred...

Starfury

I'm sure all of you get plenty of random oddballs offering to buy your car. I work at Napa, so it's basically a weekly occurence for me. Usually they're deadbeats, and usually I tell them twenty-five, then correct them them when they say "twenty-five hundred?" The last guy told me he could do $10k cash. I laughed. I could get $15k for my car without trying, maybe 18k if I found someone who really wanted one.

Today I offhandedly told some guy $25k while I was helping another customer. After I was done, he came over and asked me a couple questions about it, engine, tranny, interior, etc, and mentioned he had one very similar when he was younger. Then he said he was going to take a look at it before he took off, and he'd think about the $25k.

I'm scared, lol. The idea is to tell people $25k because it's not really worth that to anyone but me, and because that chunk of money could potentially set me up with a '69 non-Mach sports roof, or something similarly badass (maybe a Mopar?) in better shape. But...I don't know if I want to sell my car, heh. It's mine! Lots of blood, sweat, and tears have gone into that car, and few people would appreciate it like I do.

What to do... Oh well, he probably won't get back to me anyway.

If he wants it for that price sell it. For me the fun was building the car and learning as I went. He is a big boy and makes his own decisions. I'd sell mine if someone were to pay me the price it is worth in my head. I'd also build a 69 Fastback as the next project.

When people ask me, I tell them a price the wife and I would be happy with. It is normally more than it is worth by a lot plus a number I know I could search and find the "next" one with. That is a chance you take. If you feel you would not sell it at any price, then you have to say that.

As a real life situation, the last '66 Coupe we had in Az, we had it done and were driving it for two years. It was a 302, AOD, duals, holley 600 4 bbl, center console, new paint and interior, 10 show trophies. In moving, (Jan '07) we decided it might be better to sell it. So, we decided to put a price on it that was more than the market said it was worth but less than we had in it. Well, some kid stopped by and sure enough, he was able to finance most of the price and had some cash. That Coupe went for a bit under 20,000.

I was very sad :cry in selling it because I thought no one would pay that money.
I was very happy :danc in selling it because I thought no one would pay that money.

There is that double edged sword in the classic car life.......

Hope it works best for what you want.

I've always said that everyones car is eventually for sale. People don't like to hear it, but it's true. It's just a car. The right circumstances will seperate any car from any owner.

I had a guy offer me his wife for my car... really he did. I have enough of those already though.

Back