• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Installing tie rods.. now I'm confused..

Kats66Pny

Was comparing the new parts to the old parts and noticed a difference between the old parts and the new parts I have. The new parts for the LH and RH (outer tie rods and inner) are the exact same, but looking at the old ones, they are not the same. One has a different inner tie rod, and the other has a different shaped outer. Can I still use them or do I have to send the wrong ones back and get the correct ones? :shrug

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4892.jpg

Looking at the inner tie rods and this (http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1965- ... d-End.html)

... did Gert originally have power steering?! :wth

One may be for a car with power steering. Been a while since I compared them. I believe the power steering one will work on manual steering. The bend is to get around the steering power system. Looks like it had power steering.

I'm beginning to believe she did originally come from the factory with PS and sometime down the line (maybe the PO when he was building it to race) removed the PS (maybe it was so badly gone and not worth spending the $ to rebuild or didn't need PS for racing?) and he swapped it to manual.

If so..... :censored!!!

Oh well. I'm keeping it manual so since these new parts are for manual steering, I'm guessing I can still use them.

I don't think there would be a problem. If there was, it would be in the alignment settings if one section was to short or to long to get the proper adjustments. If the new will assemble to match the length of the old, you should be ok.....but then, I am old and forgetful......lol

It looks like they can be adjusted with the sleeves. Atleast that's my conclusion from doing google searches on tie rod ends and why the hell mine are different.

As long as all the parts you bought are for the same set-up you're fine...provided you got EVERYTHING new. Tie rod ends (inner and outer), drag link, and idler. Each varies in design if manual or power, six or eight cylinder.

I looked up the vin again, and it says Gert was a V8 originally. The parts I got I'm pretty sure are all for manual steering. I had John (ORP) figure out the parts for me.

The steering parts I got are from the Grab-a-Trak Steering Rebuild Kit includes 2 outer tie rod ends, 2 inner tie rod ends, 2 adjusting sleeves, and 1 idler arm.

My center link is still ok so didn't replace it.

The big difference on the center link is if it has the control valve or not. If there is no control valve, she has a manual center link.

Should be fine.

This is the center link. Looks like manual one and it doesn't look 40something years old, like it was changed when the PS was changed to MS.

IMG_4847.jpg

Kat,
65/66 Stangs with a V8 did have a unique tie rod end on the driver's side. Like they said your center link is a manual. I don't recall what disc brakes you said you might go with but 70 and later spindles have a different taper. Mustang Steve has adapters if you go that route.

I'm going to save up and get the CSRP disc kit. It comes with new spindles, which will really save me the headache of trying to separate my old ones from the old UCA's & LCA's. :hide

IMG_4855.jpg

"sigtauenus" said:
Does John at ORP know that? If so, he would have sent you the correct tie rods to hook up to those spindles.

I told him I have manual steering... but I don't think I mentioned disc brakes until after the parts were ordered.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I'm going to save up and get the CSRP disc kit. It comes with new spindles, which will really save me the headache of trying to separate my old ones from the old UCA's & LCA's. :hide

IMG_4855.jpg
Those spindles are worth a fair amount to someone looking to do a 6 to 8 swap. Worth the effort to separate them. Add the cash to your brake fund.

Yeah, I'm eventually going to try and separate them.. or heck may sell the thing as a whole and let them deal with separating it all.

The disc brake kit comes with outer tie rods. We didn't know about the disc brake swap till after the steering kit was ordered. We do refunds on the outer tie rods when the disc brake kit is used.

No worries guys, I'm taking good care of our sister :Katcof :steer

Back