• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Installing tie rods.. now I'm confused..

"AzPete" said:
One may be for a car with power steering. Been a while since I compared them. I believe the power steering one will work on manual steering. The bend is to get around the steering power system. Looks like it had power steering.

Same here.!!!
If the car has power steering , you need the correct tie rod on the left side because it can bind against the power steering control valve during excessive cornering/steering.
Be accurate when it comes to steering and braking components.
There is only one way in brakes and steering and thats the correct/right way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Kat,

Right now on E-Bay there are a couple sets of spindles like yours offered up at $155. There is another set where bidding is up to $175. Like I said, sell those puppies and get you some cash! Use a pitman puller to push the rod ends out instead of hitting the spindle with a hammer. This money would be a big chunk of your brake kit cost.

It's not the joints I can't get apart... its these bolts. They are so rusted on, they wouldn't move so I ended up having to take control arms off with the spindles.

rustyr.jpg

Is there some way to get those bolts off? Maybe cut them off? :confu

Soak 'em with a penetrating oil over night and then put a 1/2" drive (6 pt socket) on 'em and use a long breaker bar to bust them loose. Just slip a long bar or jack handle over the 1/2" drive handle and you should be able to bust them loose fairly easily. Since you have them flopping about on the ground, however, you will need to find someway to hold them somewhat stationary in order to get the full use of the extra leverage the breaker bar will give you.

"Horseplay" said:
Soak 'em with a penetrating oil over night and then put a 1/2" drive (6 pt socket) on 'em and use a long breaker bar to bust them loose. Just slip a long bar or jack handle over the 1/2" drive handle and you should be able to bust them loose fairly easily. Since you have them flopping about on the ground, however, you will need to find someway to hold them somewhat stationary in order to get the full use of the extra leverage the breaker bar will give you.

I can bolt it all back on to the car for leverage. That's no biggy.

Leverage will always be your friend!

A 1/2" or larger impact gun will work too!

And wrap the spindle ends up with a rag and tape them closed. Protect them if you are going to resell them.

Do you know anyone with a BIG impact wrench? I was having issues once getting a motor mount bolt off a block on a brand X car. I had a four foot cheater bar on it, and I was jumping on the darn thing. Upon the advise of my dad, who's a heavy equipment mechanic, I picked up an impact wrench that has something like 600 ft-lbs of torque in reverse. I put that on, and the almost instantly the bolt came out with no problems.

I'm going to try it again and soak it in pb blaster for a day or two and see if I can't get them apart. If not, I'll take them to classicdoug's shop and see if they can. They have fancy tools there that I don't have. :thu

Back