• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

instrument Cluster Brake Light - 69 Mustang

MD69Boss

Suspected Troll
Non-tach dash, removed the instrument cluster to send off for re-chroming. At the same time, besides restoring the heater box, I am installing LEDs into the dash cluster. From where is the circuit for the brake light in the instrument cluster run, and to where? I can't seem to unravel this mystery, even with the Osborne Manuals...
Thanks in advance...

Power comes from the ignition switch, goes out to the master cylinder, returns to the dash cluster, where it goes to one side of the lamp. The other side is powered by a run-only or ACC line.

So, its nothing to do with the parking brake to illuminate the lamp in the dash? Power to the dash cluster via the big electrical connector at the back of the instrument cluster? I am feeling slightly confused...?

Are you asking about the parking brake light on the dash cluster for tach cars (it's on the metal dash for standard dashes)? I

Yessir, mine is a std., non tach dash, and with my set of LED's is a red one, which I assumed was for a inop red parking lamp.
I don't see where, in the lower dash a red lamp would illuminate, and assumed it had to be in the gauge cluster...
Hence my confusion... ;)

It's a pretty simple lamp affair for the parking brake. There's a 90* spade that goes to the parking brake switch. That wire goes to one side of the lamp; the other side goes to the ACC fuse buss bar extender (3 prong plug).

Back