• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Iron Butt - Saddle Sore 5000

We have done two 1000 mile days in a row on our '87 Gold Wings when we were younger. Never entered in an event though.

Bike preps are a given...... At least 6 months prior to the planned trip, we started doing longer weekend rides to get the body parts used to it. Got up to 700-800 mile rides as a round trip, stopping only as needed. We set our stops at a certain mileage and did everything possible per stop. Biggest problem we had was getting tired in the heat. We used the heck out of cool collars and the wife always had a spray bottle of water to keep us wet/cool with. One trip was a bit harder with another couple. It is easier on your own unless things are really laid out prior to the ride. You cannot poke along at all. Side trips were at a min. based on our time. No matter what, it seems like you average about 50 -55 mph. Don't try looking for a motel upon your arrival. You will take anything.....plan ahead for comfort. Also, learn every possible seating/leg combination you can on your bike and you will still find new ones.

Well I'm thinking more of next year, so long term planning is a must.
Also I wouldn't be taking the wife. Wow, how did you manage that? Its bad enough to ride long without the problem of consideration of of another.

Its just a thought for now.

My wife rode with me for 33 years before we sold all the bikes. She had as much fun as I did. At some point in Miss., she even flashed some truckers when we were drying out after a rain. I saw her arms in my mirrors and said what the .....and so did the truckers..... lol.

That is also where the long term plans came into effect. We wanted to do some vacation on the bike but had limited time. I told her we can do this and here are the guidelines. We talked them over, made a few changes, and started the practice runs.I bought every option I could that SHE wanted for the trip to make her feel safe and comfortable. I even had my bike seat recovered with her back side in mind. Little things really paid off. She had a pouch on my backrest that she would stock with snacks to feed us both while cruising. We also had a problem with gas stops. People want to talk.... I remember one, the middle aged guy saw Az. plates in Kansas and asked if we rode that far. I answered dah....yes, just this morning we left Tucson. We pulled out and his jaw was still open.

Not everyone can do those things with their wife. Like now, we are great as full time RVers. I feel lucky to have found someone that puts up with me as she has for 35+ years.

It's something I'd like to do, but probably never will.
I did read an article about a guy who did it on an older Ninja 250. Talk about rough.

Well concering wives and bikes. I got a new one (to me) because she hated riding on the old one.
Now I have a 2006 BMW K1200GT. Had to get the topcase for the backrest. Las year we did 5,600 miles going east to Colorado then north to Banff.

As for small bikes on the Iron Butt, some years ago a guy completed the full Iron Butt (10k miles, 10 days) on a Yamaha scooter. In the mountains he almost had to push it.

Back