• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Is Dynacorn material that thin?

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
A friend from SoCal called me today ranting that the rear quarter skin for his 65 fb is about half the thickness as of the original. Does anyone have a front fender, rear quarter or maybe a taillight panel made by Dynacorn that could measure the thickness? If so are you coming up with about .035"?

I remember my full quarters being well over 0.030 back when I first got them. Now installed it harder to get a good measurement, but I couldn't get any less than 0.038 just catching the end of the fold in the trunk gutter. I checked a few places. Granted paint thickness, and possibly a burr may have contributed to the thickness, but I still don't think they are less then 0.032ish. I don't recall anything I've used ever being less than 0.030 be it Dynacorn, Goodmark or Golden Legion. Sometimes skins just feel thin because there's not much of a stamping around the edges to firm up the panels. The flimsy feeling gives the illusion they are thinner IMO...

I always thought Dynacorn put a little more meat in their metal. Looked at one with my eyeballs and I was told their body was like 400lbs more than a stock Ford one. You may want to beware that a inferior part may have been sent in place of a Dynacorm, and yes, they will do it in a minute.

http://www.autoworksracing.com/mustang_ ... %20pg2.htm

i've often heard these stories about aftermarket metal being thinner but really haven't seen evidence of it. .017 would be ridiculous.

i have dynacorn and other brands of metal on my car, and if it were much thinner than 20 gauge it would have been really easy to tell because it's really hard to weld. the difference between 22 and 20 for me is significant. the difference between 20 and 18 is also noticeable for me.

ask your friend to tell you what his measurement was for the original and aftermarket. it could be he is measuring original metal that's rusted, has excess paint/sealer or a burr and comparing that thick number to the .035" thickness of a typical panel.

I had heard from a few people that Dynacorn,Goodmark,and golden legion are all using the same dies now. I have a dynacorn skin on my drivers door and a goodmark waiting to go on the passenger door. To me they were the same thickness.

Yes I have a feeling my friend was not comparing apples to apples when measuring. Shag has a couple pieces of Dynacorn on it and when measuring it, I was getting .045+ which obviously includes paint/primer. I also talked to someone in customer service of Dynacorn who stated that their material are typically thicker than what Ford used back then which according to him was 1 mil.

Measured at the edges of my '66 quarter skins which are Dynacorns and I am seeing .040-.050". Unfortunately I can't measure in the center because of the calipers I have.

Back