• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Is Robocop Next?

FordDude

Well-Known Dude
Staff member
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/cop-watch-who-benefits-when-law-enforcement-gets-body-cams-6C10911746

Cop watch: Who benefits when law enforcement gets body cams?

Police officers around the country who wear video cameras alongside their badges and guns have found that the digital set of eyes can help shield them from citizen complaints.

I think that can be a good thing for all parties concerned. It can protect the officer from false complaints, but I also see that if the officer wants to get a little over enthusiastic maybe he (or she) will remember that the boss can review what took place. Do not think there should be an on/off switch.

fd

Could be a little embarrassing when you take a leak, otherwise it could be handy in today's society of winey a$$ crybabies. Course I've always been pro enforcement.

As with everything, cameras are a double edged sword. Yeah, they're great for recording evidence of a crime, statements made, actions around/towards the wearer. Yeah, they can address unfounded complaints. I've had my in-car camera cover all of these. The downside is when they're "abused" by the higher ups. I've also suffered from this. The "standard" line is, "we're not using video to oversee you". Yeah right! My department appointed a command staff member to randomly review 10 videos a month from every officer. I've been called to the carpet because I did something they "didn't like". No violations of law, procedure or policy. No complaint made. They just didn't like it. I've been threatened with being fired for "conduct unbecoming" because I was cursing at stupid motorists while running lights and siren to a call and they slammed on brakes in front of me or some other idiot move. The kicker? It was inside my car, windows rolled up, no one around but me. It was recorded on the inside microphone and therefore, on the video.

I'm certainly not against video, I had to beg for almost four years to have one put in my current car (we don't have them for the motorcycles...yet). The comment was made to me one day by a supervisor when called to the carpet for a "I don't like that" butt chewing (see above), and the comment was made "well, you're the one that begged for a camera"! The current digital systems can also have a discrete remote activation where they can activate your camera and you don't know. It also has GPS tracking ability so they can follow exactly where you're at. Anyone else see the potential for even greater abuse?! Remember, most hierarchy got there because they're politicians, not necessarily on ability...even in law enforcement. What's that mean? The greater potential of actions to be politically motivated as opposed to doing the right thing!

Rant over! :rant

Back