• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

is there an "eliminate the starter solenoid for dummies" book?

steveh326

ok one thing I'd really love to do when I install my new wiring harness is to clean up my engine bay is get rid of the separate starter solenoid... forum search here plus google to the rescue... relays, diodes, etc. are making my head spin so maybe I'm not qualified to do this I dunno. is there an explanation of how to do this for dummies or am I just beyond educating?

I am struggling to understand if the new starter has a built in solenoid with the proper posts why all the above is necessary.

Here's a diagram on how to wire up a starter with a solenoid.

ministarterhookup.jpg

thanks Craig but that doesn't eliminate the stock solenoid... plan B for me if I can't figure out the wiring is to relocate the stock solenoid under the battery tray and make a cover plate for the area, if I paint the cover black it should blend in/disappear. just want to clean up the engine bay as much as possible. thanks again.

Yes, don't know if you can totally eliminate the solenoid altogether. Hopefully someone will chime in with an answer.

Back