• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Jason's 69 Coupe

I've been meaning to start this for quite some but wanted to have the time to do it right. I bought my 69 coupe in 98 after driving over to Belen, New Mexico to look it over. If I only knew then what I knew now. Over looked rusted trunk sides and bulging framerails behind the leaf springs. Also missed the fact that it's been lightly punched in the left of the front end. But over all it was a good starting point. Got it home after a horrid overheating trip and losing a lower radiator hose which cracked an exhaust manifold and helped kill the head gasket. For some reason I've got no photos of that time just some stuff on an old camcorder tape. Lets jump to 2000 after I'd gotten it running and had put about 20,000 with a rebuilt shortblock, rebuilt heads a new carb and a rebuilt transmission. It started having transmission problems. Parked in the newly acquired garage and worked on it when time and money allowed. Here's where the pics start

Here is it and my 73 Mustang coupe in my garage, both torn to pieces.
GarageonEstrella.jpg

While under the knife in the previous pic it received new front and rear suspension, new steering components, Flaming River gear box for manual steering, power front disc brakes were added. I also replaced the driver's side fender with on that I later found to be damaged under all the paint but far better off than the original. I traded the 3:00,1 for some 3:50,1 gears, plus I finally discovered my rearend was from a 58 Ford Custom 300, so I was able to put new rear brakes on. Rebuilt the transmission with a reliable place and got it back on the road. Added a new hoodscoop but had to leave out the turn signal lights due to lack of info on where the holes went.

FrontLeftside.jpg

69EstrellaRF.jpg

Here's the interior with a Grant Carbon Fiber wheel and a center console a friend traded me for an extra reverse light I had. I got all the a/c needed parts from a car my buddy got dirt cheap and was cutting off the front to repair his wrecked car. Also slipped in some seats from a 98 mustang.

69Interior_edited.jpg

Here's the car once I got it running I had to strip off the mismatched primer jobs you see above.
PaintstrippingRear.jpg

PaintstrippingLR.jpg

[imghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/JasonFitch/PaintstrippingFL.jpg[/img]http://
FRPrimergray.jpg

FLPrimergray.jpg

Here's a shot of the original Silver Jade. I have a soft spot for it thanks to Ken's car but am leaning toward a lighter side of metallic green that was used in the late ninetes on Hondas. I'm after a common but like able color, I don't care who originally sprayed it.

FloorPanSilverJade.jpg

Here's the Door tag stats on the car

model year: 1969
built at: Dearborn (Dearborn, MI)
bodystyle: Hardtop
engine: 302 CID - 2V
consecutive #: 133419
body series: Hardtop - standard-trim bucket seats
scheduled assy.: November 26, 1968
exterior color: "Silver Jade" (n/a after 4-69)
interior trim: (Low-back seats) Charcoal Black vinyl
sales office (DSO): Milwaukee, WI
axle ratio: 2.79:1 "conventional"
transmission: "C-4" automatic

While I was first driving the car, about 6 months in I was backing out of a parking space for my job and at the same time a flatbed Isuzu Truck was backing up. Truck hit me in the driver's side rear most portion of the quarter panel and rippled the side. I had the work done at a bodyshop for a few reasons, lived in an apartment at the time, needed my car, lacked the tools and nerve, and it was insurance work. While it was in I had the trunk floor and rear framerails replaced.

TrunkRepair2.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/JasonFitch/TrunkRepair.jpg[img]

I love how you can see the leaking spare oil and trans fluid all unrestored old fords are required to carry.

[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/JasonFitch/FrameRail69.jpg

Nice project. You dont see many 69 coupes around. It sounds like your car was built a few weeks after mine. Mine was built Nov 2 1968. Good luck to you!

Back