• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Just got back from the Bay Area and the NHRA drags...

Starfury

I've never been to a big NHRA event, so it was an absolute blast. Everyone kept telling me how loud the top fuel cars are, but you can't really understand it until you hear/feel it. Standing on the other side of the bleachers, you still have to plug your ears to keep from blowing out your ear drums, and the sound still vibrates every organ in your body.

Sorry to all the guys on the way that I didn't get to visit. We were hungover and tired on the way up, and just plain exhausted on the way back down. If we had stopped, we wouldn't have been able to get going again, lol.

Sacbill and I were there yesterday for qualifying. Those top fuel engines have more horsepower in a single piston than a NASCAR engine has in total.

I took a video of them setting the clutch on one of the cars, but it doesn't really show what I wanted it to ... that when they blip the throttle twice it hits you in the chest like someone punched you. The sound was too loud for my camera and made it go quiet instead.

Yup, words cannot explain the feeling of smelling that spent nitro, hearing and feeling those cars go by, shaking the entire the stadium as they do 300 mph quarter miles.

Tad,
No problem. I finally sent the strippers and their chromed poles home after it was assumed you were a no show. Talking about looking dejected.......

I was there all day Friday. The night qualifying was incredible, but after dark it was butt cold in the stands. I took a bunch of photos and met Cort Mac, Mike Neff, Jason Line, and Tasca III. Not too many hotties on Friday, though, but I still found some: Here a shot of my very happy friend Larry.

Picture046.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's one happy guy.

John, we went on Saturday too. A couple of those throttle blips in the pits scared the crap out of us. The smell is oh so wonderful, though. And we were all covered with black spots from the rubber vapor cloud behind the burnout line. It amazed me that when they launch and let off half way down the track, they still run 6's. And the one guy that launched and then kinda putted down the track ran an 11. Not a full 1/4mi, but I still think my car would be hard pressed to do that going flat out the whole distance.

While we had reserved seats, we spent most of our time behind the chain link fence track-side. We even got lucky at the end of the day and had some guy give us three Thunder-Alley tickets after the top-fuel guys finished. So we got to sit in the shade and watch the sportsman guys run before we took off:)

Back