• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Latest on Rack and Pinion Options

sigtauenus

My kid brother is interested in my 68 Coupe, and my dad is looking at R&P options for him.

He's 15 right now, and we're looking for something to make the care a bit safer to drive, so not a performance focus per se.

So, in that regard, not looking to strictly shop by price, but don't need to buy high end either. What's the happy medium that is safe, works as advertised, and has a fair price?

Unisteer has always looked appealing to me. The price is nice (~$1100 for power), supposed to retain stock turning circle, tolerable bumpsteer, and fairly straightforward install. No personal experience, I'm going to get a roller idler and keep the manual steering, but...

I have the manual Unisteer, I paid $775 from summit shipped! It is the later unit and I have a ton of room around my tri-Y headers and no clearance issues with my T5.

The drive was night and day better because my box was worn out, but even with experience with other mustangs its an obvious improvement. The weird thing is it has no dead spot in the center, so you dont get the "float" your used to with a ball & sector style car. It really drives like a modern car (as far as the steering portion is concerned).

It did kinda make other handling issues show up though, so keep that in mind.

Now, with that said the tie rod ends use nylock nuts to hold the ends to the spindles so I drilled the nut, and the spindle for safety wire, I also drilled the mounting bolts and the rack for wire.

Back