• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Launch me!

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
I'm in Melbourne, FL for a business meeting, having driven here from Panama City. I plan on leaving tomorrow AM about 8AM or so. And guess what is happening at 5:40AM if the stars align? A night launch of the shuttle! Kennedy SC is only about 6 miles away! I can go across the street from the hotel and have a wonderful view of just above the horizon and watch the whole damn thing.

I'm normally up at 4AM, so this will be a no-brainer to do. Thanks to all of you for supporting my gov't-sponsored trip to see a shuttle launch!

Randy,Hope it goes up in the A.M. (the shuttle that is) It is truly a awesome sight, soon to be gone forever.

"beach pony" said:
Can I see it from Myrtle Beach? :crazy

Funny you should ask that...a local here today said that on a very clear day, it can be seen from South Carolina! She also said that if you listen to the radio (NASA radio?), they'll tell you when it is over Spain and you can still see the shuttle in the air at night!

When I lived in Flagler Beach, FL we always watched the night launches! When they headed NE, we could see it till they cut the engines in orbit...cool stuff!

I moved to Dayton in the early 80's, missed the first launch, but saw all of them up until and including the Challenger in '86, I graduated HS in '87, so that was the last I saw of the launches. I did get the chance (twice) to see it on the back of the 747 being taken back to FL after missions though. I also got home (worked a night shift) in time to hear the sonic boom from the Shuttle Columbia. Sorry I missed it this morning, would have been cool to show my son. I saw launches while in line at Wet-n-Wild, on the side of the road on I-95, from the school parking lot, from the beach, from the backseat of a '68 FB at night once (we was watching the submarine races)......

Back