• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Leak?

"blue65coupe" said:
Have fun. Tapping those holes takes more time than what you're thinking. Keep us posted.

It's all good...if it takes me the next three evenings then it's not a big deal. Just ready to work out all the bugs and get the sucker back on the road.

My idle also seems a little high so I think there might be some tuning required at some point before I stick a fork in it.

On the plus side of things....my step brother runs a window washing / pressure washing type business. I might have to have him come over soon, my garage floor is a mess between a major tranny leak, undercoating from another project and even some seam sealer being on there. The joys of owning a classic :)

Here's a little trick for installing tranny and motor pans. Get a bunch of bolts of correct thread and cut the heads off. Carefully with a hacksaw blade, cut a groove on one end that will accommodate
a small flat head screw driver. Space say 4-6 of these bolts into the holes of the tranny. They become guide bolts for you and will hold the pan or gasket in place while you start threading the permanent bolts into place. Once you have enough permanent bolts in place remove the guide bolts and replace them with the rest of the permant bolts.

This concept can be used for installing tranny's, bell housings, Rear end chunks, etc.

I've made a bag full of different size guide bolts.

"70_Fastback" said:
Since then the Tranny Pan Fairy blessed me with a really nice TrickFlow deep aluminum pan, which can't be warped by over tightening. I used the rubber gasket again and torqued to (I believe) 8 to 10 pounds.

No leaks.

Warning of possible stupid question but to do the TrickFlow pan do you need to change anything other than the pan? Does a stock dip stick work, etc?

On the plus, I went by O'Reilly today to pick up tranny fluid, the gasket, plus some other odds and ends I've been needing and it was customer appreciation day. Nice to get a free burger for lunch along with my $30 worth of items purchased.

Here's the Trickflow pan that Jeremy is using with his c4. All you need is a new gasket and longer bolts since the flange is thick. I use their pan on the AOD in my daughter's coupe.

Another couple benefits of using them is having a drain plug and they hold an extra quart of fluid.

"RustyRed" said:
Warning of possible stupid question but to do the TrickFlow pan do you need to change anything other than the pan? Does a stock dip stick work, etc?

Nope, no additional mods required except for the extra fluid & longer bolts. That mounting flange is a good 5/8" thick at the least.

O'great!

I just got over a bad case of "while we're at it" disease when doing the engine work. Now you guys are infecting me with modification-itis.

"70_Fastback" said:
Shift kits are the bomb.

I've considered one...they don't appear to be that expensive. The problem is I wouldn't have the first clue how to install one.

"RustyRed" said:
I wouldn't have the first clue how to install one.

They come with instructions.....lol. Look on line and see if you can find the instructions and look at what it takes.

"RustyRed" said:
I've considered one...they don't appear to be that expensive. The problem is I wouldn't have the first clue how to install one.
Thats because you need to forget about the shift kit, and just get a performance valve body with the kit installed. Then just swap them out.

"70_Fastback" said:
No... mine came from the Tranny Pan Fairy. :po

Goth_Fairy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
"lethal289" said:
Thats because you need to forget about the shift kit, and just get a performance valve body with the kit installed. Then just swap them out.

You mean something along these lines?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Performance-Automatic-PA26301-Valve-Body-Performance_W0QQitemZ330373620726QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4cebcd63f6

Or performance automatic makes an entire C4 that is beefed up and you can find them for less then $1,500.

However, I thought a lot of folks liked to switch to AOD? Personally, I'd love to convert mine to stick shift some day but not sure what all is involved with that.

There is a '66 for sale in my area that is in pretty rough shape but does drive and run, or so they claim. They want $2,000 obo. Tempted to offer them $500 for it and if they take it then it could be parted out but it has the factory manual tranny, LOL

Rusty, I'm seriously considering an AOD swap when my engine comes out...please....contain your laughter. Where are you located? My c4 was rebuilt during the initial engine rebuild, is painted all nice and pretty, and has a shift kit installed. If I were you, I'd look into doing the AOD swap but if you're looking for a good c4....................

I'm in Houston....roughly 35 miles north of anyway in The Woodlands.

My C4 is in pretty decent shape. Fluid never looks burned, no slip, gears inside look to be in great shape, etc.

But I do think that I am going to have to add something to it to help get the HP from this new motor to the back wheels, is there an immunization for modification-itis?

I've looked at shift kit instructions before and when they started talking about drilling holes in parts of the tranny internals I thought, not in this lifetime for me.

But if I could find something that is pretty idiot proof where I just take out the old stuff and bolt on the new stuff I could handle that and the valve body idea sounds like it might work.

Best thing I ever did, swapping Red's c4 for an AOD. I will say that the 3.0 gears in back need to be changed to 3.25 and that will affect my great highway gas mileage but I want a little more snap in our town driving.

Back