• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Leak

Thanks Lethal.

Naturally I just changed the oil so it is really clear being a very low miles motor...makes it hard to see the oil / leak.

Might double check it with the powder though I don' think I have any. I am going to Wally World tomorrow so I might pick some up.

I was just thinking about something....there is one spot where I have seen evidence of a leak.

On the driver's side of my block is a plug (kind you screw in with an allen wrench) and it looks like it has had a very slight leak. I am running a 302 that required a dipstick relocation.

Any chance that could be leaking and then running back due to wind / motion of the vehicle and so forth?

I think tomorrow I am going to clean the area around the plug, maybe even put baby powder on it then go for a 15 minute drive and see what I get.

Sound like a plan?

My money is on the rear of the pan. It is an easy in car fix too. I did it on our 67 when I dropped a socket in the dizzy hole!

Mel

"guruatbol" said:
My money is on the rear of the pan. It is an easy in car fix too. I did it on our 67 when I dropped a socket in the dizzy hole!

Mel

It could well be and I was thinking that yesterday evening due to oil being on the back lip of the pan and where the oil is coming out.

But I did notice it appears the plug has a leak also, more of a seep really.

Oil leak shouldn't be that hard to spot on a pretty much clean motor but then the oil is super clean to almost the point of clear.

If it really starts ticking me off I am half tempted to buy some of the UV dye and a black light :)

"RustyRed" said:
I've noticed a spot of oil once or twice and I've been trying to chase it down.

Think I know where it's coming from now. It seems to be coming from around the transmission inspection plate. If I wiggle the inspection plate it's "wet" for lack of a better way to put it.

It's oil for certain and not tranny fluid.

I think I know the answer but any chance it could be anything other than a rear main seal? I checked where the heads meet the block and no signs of leaks there. Didn't think to check the back of the intake though.

Motor only has 200 or so miles on it so I am a bit po'd that it's leaking oil from anywhere. It's not a massive leak but still pretty annoying.

If the galley plugs are tight and the intake and vc's are dry following down the block from the top.
Leaks from the rear are left to crank seal, rear main cap ends or pan seal.
My 2cts is is coming from the rear main cap ends. You describe leak occurs when run and not standing.
The warm oil under pressure seeps out the end of the block at the cap sides and
It works its way down the block plate/oil pan annoying the heck out of you.

Pull pan and end cap and reseal or keep kittyliter around.

Well...the boys and I took the car to the local car club cruise in last Saturday night and by the time we could order a pizza and get back outside to find a table there was a small puddle under the car.

Today, we took it for a 10 - 15 minute drive. It was running temp, etc. I made sure to give it a mix of some hard off the line acceleration and some normal driving.

Got home and it leaked a single small drop. I put some news print under it and at an hour later still no leak. Going to wait and see what it does overnight....I left the news print under it.

I haven't really done anything to it. Only thing I did the other day was grab the oil filter and try to turn it to make sure it was snug since I had just changed the oil. The filter seemed to be on pretty tight already and didn't really move at all...also didn't see any signs of it leaking but just to be thorough figured it couldn't hurt.

We'll see what it does over the next few hours / over night and go from there.

If you have the spare change I would recommend getting the one piece Felpro PermaDry oil pan gasket. Be sure to use the 4 push-pins into the block to hold the gasket in place while you raise the oil pan up. No sealant is needed with that gasket and it is reusable over and over.

"buening" said:
If you have the spare change I would recommend getting the one piece Felpro PermaDry oil pan gasket. Be sure to use the 4 push-pins into the block to hold the gasket in place while you raise the oil pan up. No sealant is needed with that gasket and it is reusable over and over.

I am going to try taking the pan off first. I tend to lean towards Felpro gaskets whenever possible due to reusable, etc.

Figure it's a project that won't take "that long" and might solve the problem.

when you pull the pan off, check the flange to make sure its straight. I had a ford racing pan that had a wave in it and caused a leak. Good luck

"sigtauenus" said:
And you never get it as pretty again either after you booger up the bolts taking stuff apart again.

Ain't that the friggin' truth. This is something I always hate and pisses me off to the extreme after taking so much time and care to paint/polish and fix up everything. ughhh. :fbomb

I spoke with the guy that built the motor and he said his first thought was the pan gasket.

I ordered the new Felpro gasket. We'll see if that fixes the problem.

Back