1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Leaky Steering Hydrolic

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain/Mechanical' started by JonnybravoM3, Mar 25, 2018.

1. JonnybravoM3

JonnybravoM3 Member

So car is up on the lift to see where this leak is coming from, as always!

Seems to be from the cylinder Rack and piping. Waiting for Tech to tell me exactly what parts I need to order, but can any experts identify these?

Thanks all for your continued support!

JB[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

2. JonnybravoM3

JonnybravoM3 Member

Steering valve and steering pump leaking [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Horseplay

Horseplay I Don't Care. Do you?

Pretty normal for all those to leak at some point. The big parts are rebuildable or replacements available. Hoses should just be replaced.

4. 3175375

3175375 Well-Known Member

The power steering system on these Mustangs sucks, which is why I ripped mine out. I got sick and tired of replacing components every 3 years or so, so I ordered a manual center link and ripped all of that stuff out. It appears you need a new RAM and hoses.

5. JonnybravoM3

JonnybravoM3 Member

Yep my Summit shopping cart as of 2 days ago the fun never stops ![​IMG]

6. 3175375

3175375 Well-Known Member

Good luck

JonnybravoM3 likes this.
  7. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon Well-Known Member

If that's your pump on the right, that's not an Eaton pump, which appears to be what you ordered.

8. JonnybravoM3

JonnybravoM3 Member

I don't need to have the same pump, I just need a pump that works and doesn't leak

9. crustycurmudgeon

[​IMG]
    The Eaton pump, pictured above, requires a different reservoir from what you have. It uses a top mount reservoir, whereas your reservoir encloses the pump.

10. JonnybravoM3

JonnybravoM3 Member

11. crustycurmudgeon

JonnybravoM3 likes this.
  12. crustycurmudgeon

Perhaps you could find someone in the US who has a junk core to return to Summit so you can get your $40 core charge back.

13. JonnybravoM3

JonnybravoM3 Member

You were right. Just chatted with Summit. This will not work with my set up. Well, I'm out 75 bucks... lucky everything else I've ordered will work and they sent me the link with the pump that would work... which is this one

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ado-36p1221/overview/

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  14. JonnybravoM3

JonnybravoM3 Member

BTW thanks for pointing that out... much appreciated... guess I thought I could just take the old system out and replace it. I guessed wrong!

15. JonnybravoM3

JonnybravoM3 Member

OK now I'm stressing a little, im unable to find this pump anywhere! Even on Summit it's on back order until May or longer!

16. crustycurmudgeon

Can you have yours rebuilt? If it was working and full and you weren't hearing any groaning noises, you probably just need to reseal the reservoir. I don't know what else might be involved, I'm sure you can find out online.

17. JonnybravoM3

JonnybravoM3 Member

OK so I've found some online.

My issue is, my car came without AC, so the one installed looks similar to the models without AC.

I installed aftermarket AC (vintage air)... So the replacement pump would still be the one without AC? Or would I change it to one with AC? The pump itself, the filler neck is at an angle for the ones with AC and straight for the ones without AC.

Thing is even with my AC system my current filler neck is not interfering with anything.

Attached more pictures of mine[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  18. crustycurmudgeon

You can use either one, since the straight one doesn't interfere with your aftermarket AC. I don't know why Ford didn't just use the angled filler neck version on all cars.

19. JonnybravoM3

JonnybravoM3 Member

Thanks!

I ordered the BBB one now. I found a few others, are they pretty much the same? I can't tell! Double the price tho.

[​IMG][​IMG]