• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Length DOES matter.... (pics)

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
I actually did this upgrade a little while ago -- upgraded to all new 3" ARP wheel studs; but still wanted to post and share the pictures for anyone kicking around the idea of doing this as well.

After installing the new A.R. Torq Thrust "M" wheels, it was glaringly apparent that the original wheel studs were not going to be long enough to run safely. Couple in the additional fact that I installed a 3/8" spacer/shim on the rears and there were hardly any threads left for a lug nut to catch on.

View of OEM stud with 3/8" spacer and new wheel. The end of the stud was barely flush with the top edge of the conical taper. There was maybe one thread for the lug to catch and that was it:
26_03_06_09_12_19_32_0.JPG

The fronts were more than likely OK as was, but I didn't like the idea of new 3" studs on the back and the shorties on the front. I didn't want the offsetting looks. So I opted to replace all 20 studs with new ARP studs:
26_03_06_09_12_19_32_1.JPG

Next up was the removal of the old studs. And, with me being me, I decided to 'work smarter in lieu of harder', I didn't care much for the idea of using a B.F.H. to beat the tar out of the old stud, so I machined an adapter to use on my air chisel to buzz the old studs out with ease...

Machined adapter:
26_03_06_09_12_19_32_3.JPG

Machined adapter on standard pneumatic air chisel:
26_03_06_09_12_19_32_2.JPG

Install air chisel with said adapter over OEM wheel stud, seat squarely and pull trigger:
26_03_06_09_12_19_32_4.JPG

NOW... in theory, this should have worked like a charm... BUT it didn't. So I had to resort to the original method of the B.F.H. (please hold all laughter until end of post)

3 pound, short handle sledge.
sledge_hammer.jpg

I didn't want to bang on the axles with them still in the carrier, so I yanked them out and tapped them out in the vice. The studs came out pretty easily with 2 decent blows from the sledge.

Here is the difference between an OEM wheel stud and a new 3" ARP wheel stud:
26_03_06_09_12_21_54_0.JPG

Next up was pulling the new studs in. I didn't stop to take any pictures, but it's pretty straight forward. In a nut shell:

I installed a new stud through the existing axle hole, i used a standard cast bell reducer

like such:
Bell_Reducer.jpg

as a spacer, so I would not have to zip the nut down as far. Seat the reducer over the protruding stud, I then installed a conical washer on top of the reducer and then follow with a sacrificial acorn nut to draw the new stud in with. Hand tighten assembly. Next use an air impact to draw the acorn nut down, thus "pulling" the new stud in. Tighten until the bottom of the knurl head is flush with the back of the axle face. Done.

All new studs installed and axles reinstalled. I would have had to remove the axles either way with these 3" studs as it would have been impossible to insert one from the back with the axle backing plate being in the way.

26_03_06_09_12_21_54_1.JPG

26_03_06_09_12_21_54_2.JPG

Plenty of threads left now, with all new open acorn lug nuts:
26_03_06_09_12_21_54_4.JPG

26_03_06_09_12_22_38_0.JPG

Fronts were about the same process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell, you got enough threads to mount duals on that thing now.......going 4X4 too?

"AzPete" said:
Hell, you got enough threads to mount duals on that thing now.......going 4X4 too?

I think the reason that your studs look so long is because you dont have the rotor installed, what is that black thing behind the wheel, a spacer or something? :hide2

26_03_06_09_12_22_38_0.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be careful when you drive by people on the side of the road. You could take their knees out with those things.

Wow! great write up! I'd like to see a photo with the lug nuts on :pop, they weren't on were they? :doh :toot

Y
"Sportbikechick" said:
Wow! great write up! I'd like to see a photo with the lug nuts on :pop, they weren't on were they? :doh :toot

Yeah, a pic with your nuts on....wait that didn't come out right :hmm

I refuse to discuss some of these things but if you look at the provided pictures, it looks like the wheel is properly secured....

For some re
"AzPete" said:
I refuse to discuss some of these things but if you look at the provided pictures, it looks like the wheel is properly secured....

For some reason I thought J was installing the longer wheel stud nuts (must be the Alzheimers)

side note; I had to change the wording 5 times before it didn't sound gay or at least I don't think so. :hmm

I would say something like big stud/small nuts but I will refrain from comment.....

Crap, there I go typing out loud again.

J,

Rather than having all of those threads showing, have you thought about using the "long" lug nuts? Personally, I'd at least mount a set of them to see which looked better and probably end up using them on all four corners.

Honestly Dave, I don't know if they'd be long enough. Unless I put them on top of the open acorn nuts and then be double nutted....

Back