• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Lethal289 Build thread - Exploring the 8.8

"lethal289" said:
ding ding ding... I was wondering how long until somebody noticed. Im planning on shortening two long tubes down to work with 31 spline fox body axles and retain the explorer disk brakes. That would make the rear end about 59.5" wheel mounting flange to wheel mounting flange and center the pinion. Perfect for a 67 stang.

to make a long story short, you are mainly just centering the chunk. i'll have to get something done axle wise, as the total body width on the tr4 i'm doing is approx 58".

"lethal289" said:
ding ding ding... I was wondering how long until somebody noticed. Im planning on shortening two long tubes down to work with 31 spline fox body axles and retain the explorer disk brakes. That would make the rear end about 59.5" wheel mounting flange to wheel mounting flange and center the pinion. Perfect for a 67 stang.

as i was reading i was wondering this too, this will be interesting to see. good work and keep with the updates i wanna see how this puppy turns out.

Yes, im not thrilled of the offset pinion. Centering the pinion is the goal. Along with retaining the close to factory length, im upgrading to limited slip 31 splines and disk brakes. I have a 2.5 inch stainless magnaflow exhaust that is mandrel bent, so i dont want to modify it for a stock explorer rear.

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
to make a long story short, you are mainly just centering the chunk. i'll have to get something done axle wise, as the total body width on the tr4 i'm doing is approx 58".

How long of a rear do you need. Using to short axles gets you ~ 56 inchs. With a modern wheel, i imagine that may be close to working.

"fordrule" said:
off hand do you know how much shorter do you need to make it fit in a 65-6?
Im pretty sure shortening it 3 inchs lets you use two short side axels and leaves the rear end about 3/4" (3/8" per side) shorter total length than the 65-6

would I need to run spacers? or just need to get a different offset on the wheels..

awesome build..any update on your 8.8?

Back