• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Let's discuss Rack n Pinion

Dne'

On my transmission thread, it was brought up that my New Flaming river rack was maybe not the best choice! I really didn't do much homework on the racks, but felt the FR should probably be ok. It's been around for a little while.
I started off with going with manual steering, but then found a factory PS system for I won't say how much I paid for it :hide2, but then decided to go with the rack with PS from Flaming river. and the FR tilt column.
Now I hear that Flaming river has some issues. IF there was a time to pull the flaming river system out, it's now! It wouldn't be my first great loss on this mustang project. I wlll say there were some things I do not like about FR so far, but I can't compare to others as I have no first hand experience, well, with any of them!
I'd like to hear what some of you may have to say before I go any further. I was wanting to install my motor and trans next week, but I will not put my motor in until I'm confident that that flaming river rack will work or may crater before I even get it on the ground.
Please give me your advice fellow stangers.
dne'

IMG_7819-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Get rid of the FR system, it's a known problem for many people. I've only heard of a couple people who got it to work and they had to reengineer it. I have a Randall's Rack system with a 390 and power steering in my 68 fastback. I'm very pleased with it. The only problem I had is that I also have the Cobra T-pan and there wasn't enough clearance (stock pan is no problem). After inserting some 3/8-inch spacers on the motor mounts, everything was great.

Dne',
When I mentioned the rack in your previous thread it was because of what Dave replied, they do have issues. I don't know if your rack is one of the first ones or the "new and improved" versions. Its in your car, so that is a plus. I would get the steering linkage all setup and then see when you put the motor in. IIRC, the biggest issue was with the headers and not having enough room. Flaming river did not do there home work on their first racks, they only tested one or two types of headers, thinking I would assume, that all headers fit basically the same. You have an advantage in that you are not running a manual trans, so you do not have to worry about that.

My suggestion would be to remove your trans (to make it easier to test) and set the motor in with just the drivers side header and see how it fits. If you have issues, its because of the rack. If it works, pull the motor back out, reinstall trans and drop them back in the car.

Hope that helps.

My husband says make it work(another 2k$ is absurd on this mustang)! The only thing I really didn't do~ the unit came with 3 u-joints. I used two. I figured since I have a small block and running shorty headers with a C4, that I may be able to "cheat". I may just do what fast68 says, put my motor in and just see what clearance or issues I may encounter, if any, screw it, I may just go ahead and put the entire engine/tranny in!. I've gone this far, let's see what happens! IF anything, there would be more documentation to prove or disprove that FR is junk or not. Of course the real test will be clearance, and function on the road. If the tires will go in the direction I point them, and turn easily, then that will be just fine.

IMG_8135.jpg

IMG_8136.jpg

IMG_8138.jpg

IMG_8137.jpg

IMG_8139.jpg

I would not get all wadded up over it just yet. Slam that puppy together and see what shakes out. You may find that everything works out just fine.

Thank you sluggo!

Finally a positive note! Thank you sluggo! :pep a little optimism helps me tremendously! :pep

"Sluggo" said:
I would not get all wadded up over it just yet. Slam that puppy together and see what shakes out. You may find that everything works out just fine.

Dne,

I agree. I wouldn't throw the towel in just yet on the rack. You've already spent the money, might as well see how it works. The shorty headers and auto trans may help everything work out.

The two knuckle steering linkage looks like it'll be far out of the way of any shorty headers.

What do you think? ps pump?

I'm told my FR uses a GM pump. The system uses this pump and a reservoir that mounts to the apron or radiator support(the reservoir is a polished aluminum tank, cylinder shaped, with 2 lines going in from the bottom). I spoke with FR tech asking them if the return on the pump can be repositioned, he said no. But the return thing looks to be pressed in, and may could be repositioned? Another great idea I told FR. (I was nice). The return line would go up and then have to go downward steeply to plug back into the reservoir. The line is the steel braided line and doesn't bend very well. The tech said he would email me a photo of a Mustang PS setup for me to see how they mounted the reservoir and how the hose went. All I can see is a steel braided hose going straight up. So, How brave do you think I am to pull that return portion to reposition it?

IMG_8145.jpg

Attempting to change the hose orientation would violate the warranty, I would think.

Why change it? I'd bring the return line up and then run it with the pressure line, this way you can zip tie them together and keep things neat.

I wish I had put the reservoir in the photo.darn. I have 3 lines(hoses)
#Pressure hose from pump to rack
#return line from the rack to the reservoir(on the apron)
# a large line going from the reservoir to the pump(apron to pump) this is the peculiar line that is in question about how the spiket comes out of the pump.

I'll take mocked up photos tomorrow.
thanks guys!
dne'

I'm following along with great anticapation. R&P is my next big investment. I'm thinking randel's but still curious how this works out for ya. BTW, has anyone pulled a long shaft 67 steering gearbox with the motor still in? I don't know if I be able to get mine out with the motor and headers in...

has anyone pulled a long shaft 67 steering gearbox with the motor still in?

It can be done. You may have to completely remove the steering column (housing, not the shaft) in order to get a better angle, but it's do-able.

It looks like a nice set up with the mounts. A word of advice though. I know the oil filter matches your paint scheme but I'd 86 that Fram. I had a friend lose two new engines using Fram oil filters.

86?

Gee Mike, I didn't pick out the Fram filter. I'm having difficulty translating what "86" means! :doh You'll have to forgive me, I don't do slang very well :doh! So, what filter should I use???

"Mustang Mike" said:
It looks like a nice set up with the mounts. A word of advice though. I know the oil filter matches your paint scheme but I'd 86 that Fram. I had a friend lose two new engines using Fram oil filters.

"86" refers to getting rid of the Fram filter as so many have had flow problems with them.

what kind of filter?

THank you pete! but what type of filter would be best? K&N?

"AzPete" said:
"86" refers to getting rid of the Fram filter as so many have had flow problems with them.

I run only Motorcraft oil filters. I believe Wix is another good brand but I am not 100% on that one.

Back