• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

lights don't work

RustyRed

The good news is that I finally got the rest of the car together after replacing my fender apron, etc this weekend and even took it for a very short spin yesterday.

Getting the connections I needed to hook the transmission lines back up to the radiator was a battle but finally got that figured out.

I pulled the car out yesterday and started testing the various lights, etc.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work correctly are my park lights on the front. If I signal either direction the back turn signals work just not the front ones. The headlights work, the horns work so it is just the park lights.

Didn't have any time to look at it yesterday but any thoughts on what the deal might be?

I was thinking of checking the bulbs first. With the park lights being off of the car it is possible the bulbs were knocked loose or something along those lines. With the other lights and horn all working my guess is that it isn't a bad fuse or a bad ground.

"AzPete" said:
Missing a ground on the park lights?

I double checked both of the plugs that come off the park lights yesterday...the two wire plug and the single wire plug and they seem to be connected fine.

Do they have some other place that I might check for ground issues?

The single wire that comes off of the park lights plugs into a wire on the headlight lead which in turn, ends in a terminal lug for grounding on the rad. support. I would check that one for sure.

Since neither side works and both the park and turn filaments are not working, it must be a common problem. I would also pull the bulbs to check them also.

Ok, I know which one you are talking about that attaches to the radiator support.

Is it possible that new paint (i.e. new radiator support) could be causing a ground issue?

Yes, it could. If you have a volt/ohm meter, set it on ohms and check for continuity between the ground screw and the battery. If the meter does not read full continuity, then you have a ground problem. You need to remove some paint under the screw so you have a good connection.

I had to run home at lunch because the pest control guy was coming.

What the heck, I was there so I ran out to the garage. The exterminator guy loves the Stang and always wants to see it anyway.

I went ahead and sanded off the ground some but turns out it was the bulbs. As soon as I took off the cover on the passenger's side the bulb fell out. Darn reproductions...the bulbs don't stay in as well and you have to sort of hold your mouth right to get them in. When the lights are on the car they stay put, but when you are taking the housings off the car and moving them around apparently is another story.

Now if I could just find some tranny fluid that would work :hmm

Repops are a real beotch to seat, I ended up sanding/filing down the contact points so they would seat properly.

Back