• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Look what I did last night part 2

Thanks to the generous supply of hog rings from Dave, I got another portion done last night. My son spends Thursday nights at his moms, so its a good chance to get stuff done....

What I started with, original '68 buckets
2_19_09_08_8_42_36_0.JPG

What I'm using is TMI's new '68 sport seat kit, old seat (right) bottom and the new (left)
2_19_09_08_8_42_36_1.JPG

Sure hope the hog rings I got from Dave is enough..... This was just the seat back
2_19_09_08_8_42_36_3.JPG

All I got finished was the seat bottom for one side, you can see the added bolsters, looks pretty nice. I pulled the seats out of the attic, so they were a bit dusty.
2_19_09_08_8_42_36_2.JPG

I also bought the TMI sport seat headrests for 65-67 and I'll have to do some work to them so they will work on the '68 seats

GREAT. Let me know what you think so I know if I wanna do mine in that too, the mach 1 high back set. Wish Id've known you were doing it... I could've saved you a TON of money on the foams and upholstery.

"Waffles" said:
I could've saved you a TON of money on the foams and upholstery.

Sweeeeeet, now ya tell me, well at least I got some free hog rings from Dave......... You can get a deal on TMI stuff?

Nope, but by swindling the system! Its a long story and frankly one I don't wanna share publicly, but I can basically get the 69-70 upholstery for $325 front and rear and the seat foams for free.

I used to just not like you, now I flat out hate you......... ~bh ~bh ~bh ~bh ~bh ~bh

Its my own fault for not asking first, I figure I like to post the after pics for the WOW effect...no more of that

As I mentioned in the other post, I got the incorrect brackets with the sports seat headrests, well I drive up to the house tonight and there is a box at the door, :pep :pep Woo Hoo, i can work on the seats to night. Proceed into the house open the box, :wtf?, only ONE bracket. Now I'm pretty sure I told the lady I ordered the "set" of headrests. Call the manufacturer (again) and tell them I only got one, the packing list has the comments "customer shipped wrong brackets" so they only ship 1??????????

It looks GREAT Rick. Keep up the steady progress. You know that you can change those lights/housings w/o removing the side panels, right?

Yeah, the blue tape is holding the wires from falling behind the panel. See the post in the electrical board...I'm trying to find the lights.

Rick,
Seats look great. Maybe I'll send you mine to do when I'm ready.

Actually more interested in your headrest project for I'd love to put some in Shag.

"cmayna" said:
Rick,
Seats look great. Maybe I'll send you mine to do when I'm ready.

Actually more interested in your headrest project for I'd love to put some in Shag.

Not for a million mankinis would I want to undertake upholstry projects, what a PIA.........

The headrests should look like this when they are done only the seatback will have new upholstry and the sport seat bolsters on the side.

2_22_09_08_2_01_28_3.JPG

Got the passenger side put back together.....

What do ya'll think?

2_08_10_08_7_35_21_1.JPG

2_08_10_08_7_35_21_0.JPG

Its the TMI '68 sport seat upholstry and the '67 sport seat headrest. The headrests adjust in height and can be tilted forwards or backwards, pretty nice setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet Mary Mother of God!

It's about time!

Nice work ~thu Looks pretty comfy, I'm gonna come park my fat ass on them.

Rick,

The seats look to have come out great! I like the bolsters and the added headrest. How are your fingers doing after playing with those hog rings?

Now that you're done, here's a trick for next time.....

Attaching the thin metal bolster rods that surround the seat to the seat frame can be very frustrating. It's very difficult to "pull" these thin metal rods through the cushion material and at the same time connect a hog ring. You almost 3 or 4 hands at the same time! A trick is to temporarily use safety wire to cinch ALL of the rods down to the seat frame. Once ALL of the rods have been cinched tight with the safety wire and ALL of the wrinkles have been worked out of the upholstery, permanently install the hog rings and cut the safety wire off.

Yeah, I forgot to tell you this earlier.... my bad.

Thanks Dave, I think the biggest PIA was trying to get the wire for the seat bottoms into the little sleeve attached to the upholstry.

The seats came out a lot better than I hoped. I'm hoping to get the trans filled (thru the top) then install the Pro 5.0 shifter, put the carpet back in, mount the two seats, scuff plates and kick panels, then the shifter. After that, about 95% of the interior will be in place, finally.

Back