• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Looking at tires now

Dne'

I'm hoping in 3-4 weeks that I'll be putting MY Stang on the ground for the 1st time in a year, mainly just to be able to move it out of the garage for cleanup, and of course to see it on the ground. I have Cragar mags, 14", 7" for the rear, 6" for the front. Please make no accusations of what I have purchased or why I have purchased or chosen what I have. It's what I like and what I want.
So, I was looking at TA radials, 60's on the rear, 70's on the front. I honestly don't know much about tires, so I'm just seeking opinions or knowledge as to what's out there. I remember Micky Thompson tires, but I don't remember where I remember them from! :hmm I like white letters to be shown. Ok, that's it for now, going to the garage.
dne'

Well....

You're limiting yourself with the 14" wheels.... wanting RWL tires..... and the probable backspace issues associated with using Cragars (I'm betting the BS is the standard 4"?), but here's the link for the superhard rubber "cardboard" tires you're looking for.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs/radial-t-a/12.html

For sizes, the 205/70 should fit well up front and the 245/60 should fit inside the rear wheel wells.... but I make no guarantees until the Cragar's back space is confirmed.

I started to type about the same thing, only limiting on the brakes you could use running 14"s. I would hope she is upgrading to discs up front.

my cragars

4" backspace on the 7" wheel. 3.5" on the 6". I'm not going to race my car, it'll probably sit in the garage most of the time except for nice weekends, IF I ever get it going! When I get it going I should say. If something just totally doesn't fit, then I'll buy something else, but I'm going to try to make these work. I just want to be a little intelligent sounding when going over to Discount Tires.

IMG_7768.jpg

IMG_7769.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Fast68back" said:
I started to type about the same thing, only limiting on the brakes you could use running 14"s. I would hope she is upgrading to discs up front.

i ran 70 discs on mine with 14" aluminum mag wheels.
i had to do a little grinding on the caliper but I would think the steel cragar 14s would even have better clearance.

Re: my cragars

"Sportbikechick" said:
4" backspace on the 7" wheel. 3.5" on the 6". I'm not going to race my car, it'll probably sit in the garage most of the time except for nice weekends, IF I ever get it going! When I get it going I should say. If something just totally doesn't fit, then I'll buy something else, but I'm going to try to make these work. I just want to be a little intelligent sounding when going over to Discount Tires.

IMG_7768.jpg

IMG_7769.jpg

Have you test fit the front wheel with the rotors and calipers mounted? 14s would not fit Chuck's 67 with granada conversion on it.

I have the lower control arms out right now waiting for '67 LCA's so the rotor is just kind of hangin! But I was able to hold the new wheel up to the rotor, and see about 1/4" between the wheel and caliper. I got my axles back, going to install now, then install the rear axle. I'll be back!

I had 14" Cragers on my 67 with Granada spindles and Versailes rear disc's. Mine were 14x6" in the front and 14x9" in the rear with 3.5" BS. No rubbing. I had BFG's (hard as a rock). I think Mickey Thompson are bias ply aren't they?
72_07_10_08_9_02_19.jpg

Take a look at this link. Nick has done a great job compiling the various combinations.
http://www.dodgestang.com/mustang.htm

As far as tires go, the BFG TA's are round and hold air. Tire design has evolved considerably since they first saw pavement decades ago and there are more advanced tires out there these days. Note that fewer and fewer tire companies are making 14" tires as the technology, and the market, is going to the larger sizes. I suggest you consider looking at 15" or larger rims. Ultimately, it depends on what you plan to do with your car, and of course, your budget.

Rear axle installed today, shocks, brake line connected, a little more to do.
I know it'd be better to go with 15" wheels, but I have these wheels now, and I think they will look just fine. It will be just a Sunday driving car, Sunny days only. If it rides a little rough, that's Ok. Just want it to look nice and If I were to please anybody, it would be my peers here on this site, cause you're the only ones that really respect the restoration process and what I'm going through~ it's hard work, but addictive!
thanks

IMG_7773.jpg

Well I think they will look fine, I like the white letter look and a little sidewall too. I for one am impressed with all the work your doing, not many people take on so much anymore and your Stang is looking sweet!

"tarafied1" said:
Well I think they will look fine, I like the white letter look and a little sidewall too. I for one am impressed with all the work your doing, not many people take on so much anymore and your Stang is looking sweet!

+1

You're doing a great job with that car. Build it the way you like it, because it's your car.

Front wheel too!

I am so Happy :pep, the UPS guy delivered my Lower control arms, so I put those in to end the day, plus I was a little worried about clearance! The question regarding clearance between the caliper and wheel is ok. It's adequate and does not rub on the wheel at all! So that's good!, no, that's great! Sadly, I won't get to work on my car till later next week. But I accomplished a great deal today, and I'm just terribly pleased!

:pbj And a Super PS ~~Ya'll how to make a Lady feel good! :pep
IMG_7788.jpg

IMG_7781.jpg

Your car is looking great! Keep up the excellent work!!! I agree with these guys build it the way you want it. I have some people who think I destroyed my car but I don't give a rip. I built it for me and not them. Unless they want to buy it of course. Then I will start another one.

Don't get in to much of a rush to finish it. Once it is done it is not quite as interesting IMHO. For me the love of the hobby is building it. The weird thing is toward the end of my build I only wanted to finish it and drive it. :hmm

I know I should't be in a hurry. I did the same thing when i was in the motorcycle scene. I'd take my bikes apart, paint them Yellow, (I love yellow bikes!) put graphics, chain, etc, then towards the end when there was nothing left to do to them(except ride them), I'd start losing interest and look for another project! So, I find myself doing the same thing here! Only it's more of a lengthy process(and a lot more money!lol). These are just two of the many I've had. It's just fun taking things apart, and putting them back together, only in much better condition! But I am a little anxious to drive it someday! :pbj
:bow
PICT0090.jpg

I agree, they look great on the car, my only worry was that you could not upgrade to disc brakes, which I think should be everyones first "upgrade" for both performance and safety. Glad to see they will clear the calipers! Nice work. If you decide you want to go bigger later, keep an ey on 'ole Sluggo, once he gets that Mach painted he'll wants some DUBS on it.

To my knowledge, there are only a couple tires still available in 14" and RWL. Radial T/A's, Cooper Cobras, and Firestone Firehawks. Radial T/A's are the best of the lot, IMO, but none of them are going to have better than mediocre traction in the dry, and even less in wet weather. So you're going to have to decide which you want more, traction or looks.

Cars is coming together real nice. Love that color, or at least how it looks on my computer (orange). lol I would suggest that the black letter side of the tires would look best. I like the look of the BFG's myself but as stated, they are dated. The PO put them on the rear of my '66 and I have yet found a pressure they will grip at all with on any hard take off. I had no problem with them on my last '66 but it had a stock 302 where this one has a bit of extra and I drive it nearly every day. Gotta wear them out.......

"Fast68back" said:
I agree, they look great on the car, my only worry was that you could not upgrade to disc brakes, which I think should be everyones first "upgrade" for both performance and safety. Glad to see they will clear the calipers! Nice work. If you decide you want to go bigger later, keep an ey on 'ole Sluggo, once he gets that Mach painted he'll wants some DUBS on it.
I'm hopin to turn out sumpin like dis :bash :bird :pop

"Sluggo" said:
I'm hopin to turn out sumpin like dis :bash :bird :pop

Dont be hatin....... While your photochopin, y not add some rocker molding, in body color and then in wheel color

Back