• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Making bacon tomorrow

copasspupil

Donator
Going to make cottage and canadian bacon using pork shoulder and pork loin. The shoulder makes excellent bacon most call it cottage bacon. The meat to fat percentages is reversed 90% meat to 10% fat and you still get the same great flavor. The canadian bacon will be a first for me. The recipe is still the same - 1 cup molasses, 1 cup packed dark brown sugar and 1/3 cup salt. Place meat in a vacuum sealed bag with the cookie dough like substance and turn it 180* every 24 hour hours fora total of 5 days. It will turn into a syrupy mess as the salt with pull the liquid from the meat and break down the dough mixture. Day 6 remove from bag wash off and place on a cookie tray to air dry for 24 hours with copious amounts of black pepper on the bacon. Day seven you cold smoke it for 2-3 hours. It just needs to be sliced and cooked.

Pics to follow

Seems like way too much work. Surely there must be easier ways:

bacon1.jpg

After eating the cottage bacon, I really hate regular bacon now. The stuff from the store is so fatty. I cut the shoulder at 2" wide so it still appears like the store stuff but this has meat. I usually make about 14+ pounds of it so the cost is minimal and so is the effort.

Very similar. They called it cottage bacon at my local butcher. That guy has some amazing stuff. His peppered beef is fantasic

"copasspupil" said:
Mark, I'd be glad to send you some.

That just caused my tongue to lip smack the back of my brain. As soon as I get a chance you and I are going to have to have a conversation!!

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk

I have apple wood in the smoker currently. I did the canadian bacon last night and will be doing the cottage tomorrow. I ran out of molasses so I have to pick some more up today.

I didn't make it to the store for the molasses so I chose to make pulled pork bbq sandwiches with an apple slaw. Mainly fuji apple sliced with celery, carrots, yellow peppers and lite italian dressing.

I checked on the canadian bacon and it looks good the dough is now a liquid and is coming along. Pics to follow

Day one of a typical bacon mix. I don't mix the stuff up as it will do it naturally over the course of 5 days.

Day 3 but the liquid is about the same as 1 day. Once the cookie dough mixture has mated with the pork, it surprisingly does not take long to become a liquid

This post inspired me to make my own Buckboard Bacon

Just finished with 4 hrs if Mesquite smoking and slicing it.
Bacon1.JPG

Cooked up some.
Bacon2.JPG

BLT
Bacon3.JPG

That was So good, I might not ever buy store bacon again.

Back