• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Manual vs Electric choke - Update "Neither says my engine builder" WTF?

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Update: Scroll down to Johnpro's reply and mine after his.

I'm going to install a Holley 4779-8 (750 double pumper) on Shag. It is currently set up as a manual choke and I'm thinking staying that way. My '50 Chebbie truck has a manual choke and I love the ability to control it. Red has an electric choke and I hate it. Have I already made up my mind? Yes, unless you convince me otherwise.

Re: Manual vs Electric choke

Go for it, i like the reliability of the manual choke, i just hate my current carb.

Why change it if you have what you like........ I always like the manual chokes but all recent cars have had elec. which work great after one setup.

If mine doesn't start behaving I might be switching to a manual choke...just sayin....

I hate my electric choke. I really wish I had gone manual. Due to the random weather fluctuations, I can't ever get the choke set up right.

Stay with the manual choke Craig. If I had a choke on my carb (not needed) it'd be manual, I like being able to set it as needed.

I just remembered one thing I do not like about a pure electric choke..... No matter what the temp of the engine is, it will activate if it has sat long enough for the coil to cool but not the engine. Sometimes it is aggravating to have the choke kick on when the engine is warm enough to not need it. The cars starts fine but is on a fast idle when not really needed.

Awesome. Manual Shag will be. Did our mustangs come with a manual choke? If so, where would the handle be located? Near the brake cable lever or on the right side of the steering column?

I am not sure on a location or a manual from factory. I would route it on the opposite side as the key. Sometimes you may want to work both at the same time.

I've never looked at it closely but I believe the electrical assembly manual has a diagram for how to run the choke cable on a manual.

A friend has one his dad bought new off the show room floor (either '65 or '66...can't remember) but it has never been gone through or modified in any way. If all else fails I could call him and ask him or just stop by and look.

I'm certainly not a concours guy, but I was under the impression that ALL pre-electric choke Mustang carb's had their choke's controlled by exhaust manifold heat through a "choke tube"..... not by a cable routed through the firewall and mounted under the dash.

I know for a fact that my original '70 M code carb had a choke tube running from a heat shield on the passenger side exhaust manifold up to the carb's choke mechanism. I still have that choke tube, but the carb/car/motor is long gone.

"daveSanborn" said:
I'm certainly not a concours guy, but I was under the impression that ALL pre-electric choke Mustang carb's had their choke's controlled by exhaust manifold heat through a "choke tube"..... not by a cable routed through the firewall and mounted under the dash.
that's what I thought too. I have not ever seen a Mustang with a factory manual choke (but that does not mean they didn't exsist)
And for the record my electric choke on my Holley works great. I have it set lean so it doesn't close when it's warm outside.

"daveSanborn" said:

I know for a fact that my original '70 M code carb had a choke tube running from a heat shield on the passenger side exhaust manifold up to the carb's choke mechanism. I still have that choke tube, but the carb/car/motor is long gone.

Not quite. The original HiPo289 on Shelbys (and possibly Mustangs) came with a manual choke via a cable routed through the firewall.

Okay by me, learn something new every day. It's great having you concours types around to point out all of the minor variances that we might not see on your "usual" Mustang.

Yeah, Bosses and some CJs had manual choke assemblies. Maybe it was a SCJ thing in 1969, because my '69 R-code (bought it years ago) still had the little heat tube on it that comes up from the passenger side exhaust manifold and hooks up to the carb. IIRC, the choke was mounted on the underside of the dash, to the right of the steering wheel.

A properly adjusted electric choke is a nice thing to have--and I only have one that is totally dialed in on one of my cars. It's a pleasure to drive. On my '69 R-code, I would prefer a manual choke, and I really like the manual choke from the factory on my '68 F250. So if I were to vote, I'd go for the manual choke on your car.

Chokes are for cold weather places. You live in the Bay Area, Craig. The coldest day of the year, is what, July 15th, when it gets down to 65? *LOL*

I have an electric choke on both my '66 and daughter's '67 and they work well. If I have to have a choke, I would actually prefer a manual choke, but it's not as clean, or as easy to install.

I have no choke horn at all on Scary ... the choke horn impedes air flow, and we REALLY don't need chokes in Sacramento, either, except December and January.

John,
Guess what? A couple days ago I was at my engine builder's place to drop off the Holley he was going to rebuild and.....

I said "BTW, I'm going manual choke"

He said "No you're not"

I said "huh? You want me to go electric"

He snickered and said "No, as in no choke at all. Where the hell do you think you're living in? The mid western states? None of my motors get a choke. You won't need it. You want to impede the performance of that motor or something? Here, let me fire up my Camaro which has been sitting for 3-4 days and show you how to do it. Your car infact will warm up much easier than my Camaro since it has a less radical cam."

Tonight I was over at another friends place who originally turned me onto this engine builder and I asked him about this issue. "Yep, most of the motors I install and 100% of Dave's (my engine builder) motors run with no choke."

So, it looks like I'm starting out with no choke. This should be very interesting.

Back