• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Military Service

this coming Sunday, my Dad's Mother's side of the family (Osthus) is having their reunion in Sioux Falls. They even invited me!

Seriously, they are attempting to honor all those who served in the Military.

Here is a write up I did on my Dad

Dad joined the US Navy as an enlisted man in 1952. He served at shore duty in Maryland and served on the USS Bon Homme Richard (CV-31). He left the Navy as an E-5 with honors, and attended Brookings University under the GI Bill and earned his Mechanical Engineering Degree.

While he did no more active duty, he spent the rest of his career working on weapons systems, heating and air conditioning systems on Cruisers, Destroyers and Frigates. While some may not consider his service important, I would say that view is flawed. Many people spent countless hours (some on their own time) to provide the best damn equipment our Country could have. That work ethic was instilled in me and now after 32+ years working on Radars, missiles and other systems, I am grateful and proud to have learned and benefited from my Dad. Thanks, Dad. I only burned up two things...

That's awesome, good for him and thank for him for his service. He should be highly recognized. Its always good to hear a good successful story about a Veteran while in and out of the military.

Thanks. He did the best he could given the circumstances. I'll never forget him bringing home large fold outs of heating and ventilation systems for myself, my 3 brothers and sister to color on the back. But not me. I asked my Dad to explain the drawings.....

I find it amazing that there's always that one kid who is interested and usually not the one, if you had to guess, and the other kids could care less. I bet he was pretty proud you took an interest. As a fellow dad you know what I mean.

Growing up as a Boy Scout with my friends, we seemed to just have 'The Knack' during our time growing up, we built a tank. Tetherball pole was the cannon. I think we sunk 50 lbs of nails into the 3/4" marine grade plywood. I have a picture of it somewhere.

I grew up knowing freedom isn't free and have tremendous respect for those who made it safe for me and my friends to play hit the bat in the summer without worry. That effort of those who have served is priceless.

Well, the party is over. Success!

I had the pleasure to spend the past weekend with my Dad's 2nd brother and visit with Family.

The culmination of the weekend was the 'Osthus reunion'. Every three years, my Dad's Mother's side of the family gets together to honor, cdlebrate those people of my ancestry. 8 brothers migrated or stayed (after coming to America) and the organization has racked and stacked the growth as well as who should be remembered.

There is information presented of our history.
My
This year's theme was to recognize and honor those who served and have served.

I learned I had relatives who flew in the Royal Norwegian Air Force in Europe and other places (I am assuming Humbly) as well as many stories and other things that provide a 'Family Linkage' of the good things we did to make this a better place.

My first cousin presented my immediate families service which included my Dad, and three of his brothers (one posthumously).

It was way cool to be able to rack and stack all of that service for our continued Freedom.

V/R,

Steve

Back