• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mini High-Torque Starter - Recommendations?

After reading your reply from just waking up by the cell phone alarm clock, I get ready for work in the '66... turn the ignition and the mini-starter finally went kaput. You just hear the starter spinning.

I'll check DBElectrical again to see if there's one that fits my application. Thanks...

EDIT: looks like it will fit - FORD CARS MUSTANG 68-65 4.7L(289) V8 w/MT $47.95 + $12 ground shipping

"gotstang" said:

I have the original 289 + 4-speed T10 BW, and 157-tooth flywheel.

I just placed an order on p/n #3223 and the price dropped to $43! Should get here hopefully in 4 days.

ANOTHER price drop? dang...SAC69 recommended the db electrical one to me, but he said he paid over $50...then i paid just under and now you're coming in under my price.....sweet!!! is this what they call a "down" economy? i wish more prices would come down if that was the case. you'll like it.

I don't know if this DBElectrical mini-starter is made in China or not. I hope it can take the daily abuse of a stroker; cheap to try it out. The final price including shipping is $55. If it lets me down, I'll get a PowerMaster; and the DBE and CHM mini's as backups.

EDIT: It'll arrive on the 15th! Now that is quick! Ordered yesterday morning.

I need to order one of these as well. I emailed DBE thru eBay and asked about compatibility with 351C running AOD automatic and they said "should be fine for your application"

Just need to pull the trigger

I have the DSE DBE mini in the bell-housing plate, but the circular lip is a little bigger than the hole, so it's tilted a little. Is this a problem? :rp

yes, if the starter is tilted it won't engage the the teeth properly. It might work but could damage the flywheel and/or starter teeth over time. It might also just make a lot of grinding noise the first time and wipe out the teeth.

Should I use a Dremel to massage the bell-housing plate or just return the mini back to DSE DBE? This is a China made copy of the Ford PMGR mini-starter.

I personally wouldn't grind on the motor plate since it is a Ford part. It also (along with the bolts) locates the starter. If it's a matter of thousands of an inch, I'd emery the starter OD, but of course your stuck with it then.

You get what you pay for imo. I wouldn't modify a part you know is correct.

"hivewax" said:
Should I use a Dremel to massage the bell-housing plate or just return the mini back to DSE? This is a China made copy of the Ford PMGR mini-starter.

DSE = DBElectrical?? I was considering ordering a DB Electrical this week...Is this a bad idea? I'd heard so much good, and the price cannot be beat

Yes, I corrected my mistake. DSE is DBE (DB Electrical)... my bad.

I believe I had the same problem with an replacement reproduction starter I got from NAPA. The circular lip was a little larger than the bell-housing hole. I returned it and ordered the PowerMaster mentioned in my 1st post, which didn't fit either for the same reason from my recollection. Then took it to a shop that ordered the CHM mini. So, maybe I have a weird bell-housing plate. Can I find a part number on it and you guys can see if it's original to the car??

I'm going to check out the '93 5.0L mini @Pep Boys with lifetime warranty to see if the circular lip is 4-1/16" or 4-1/8". $120 new or $100 re-manufactured.

Here is a PDF of Ford starter gear depth information from Tom Payne at PowerMaster. Let me know if the link isn't working... first time trying out GDocs.

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=1wx ... hdYK&hl=en

It explains why a 9604 mini doesn't fit a 289, 4-speed, 157-tooth and to use 9603. The '93 5.0L mini from Pep Boys fits in the larger 4-1/8" starter registry hole, so it won't fit... bummer, I liked the lifetime warranty.

"hivewax" said:
Here is a PDF of Ford starter gear depth information from Tom Payne at PowerMaster. Let me know if the link isn't working... first time trying out GDocs.

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=1wx ... hdYK&hl=en

It explains why a 9604 mini doesn't fit a 289, 4-speed, 157-tooth and to use 9603. The '93 5.0L mini from Pep Boys fits in the larger 4-1/8" starter registry hole, so it won't fit... bummer, I liked the lifetime warranty.
Thank you for that link and picture, which explains why the 9603 and 9604 get confused so often. For manual cars, one could use either one, depending upon the number of teeth on the flywheel.

Back