• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mini High-Torque Starter - Recommendations?

hivewax

I have a CHM Performance generic mini-starter that has been rebuilt once before. Metal clunk noises have been heard while starting, so the engine shop believes it's the starter ready to go bad. I bought a PowerMaster mini-starter before, back in '04-05, I think part #9604 - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-9604/ - which didn't fit in the bellhousing plate. Then, I turned the car to a custom shop that got the CHM starter. It looks now they changed #9604.

So, I'm looking for a good dependable mini starter that fits my application... 347ci, 10.6:1 compression ratio, T10 4-speed manual, 157-tooth flywheel. Here's a Summit search - http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=mini+starter+289&RC=100

Give me your thoughts... or better yet, what do you have? And, are there universal mini-starters that'll fit if I upgrade later on to a 4-speed toploader with or w/out Gear Vendors overdrive or 5-6 speed?

Weird. I bought a Powermaster for my car years ago and I love it. I did have a slight application issue (I'm running an automatic starter in my 3sp manual car), but other than that, everything works great.

Yes, I've read somewhere that the description is misleading and I would have to get the automatic version from PowerMaster.

Now that is a sweet deal. Is it from the FRPP catalog? Do you happen to have the part no., so I can see if it fits a 157-tooth 4-speed manual? I'm guessing not.

This is great timing for me also. Please Rick, tell us where you got your starter from. I was going to go this weekend and buy one from Autozone for a 93 5.0 but I will wait for your response. The preassure is on Rick. Inquiring minds need to know NOW. :ecit :lol

"gotstang" said:
Jumpin' galoots. $200 for a fairly ordinary starter? I'd either buy a junkyard Ford mini-starter and have it rebuilt by the local electrical shop ($80 total) or buy one from these guys:
http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1322-new-ford-mini-pmgr-starter-302-351-manual-transmissions-3223-sfd0012.aspx

Don't let the price fool you, there are Jeep guys out there with 10 year old units from these guys with no issues.

I have a PGMR (mini starter) from dbelectrical and I am quite pleased with it. Brand new and $50... even comes with a "conversion wire" for free if you are too lazy to crimp on ends yourself! I have a 10:1 393w and I run a lot of initial timing (18 degrees). Absolutely no problems starting it up - even when hot. Lighter, stronger, more header clearance... I would recommend this to anyone who needs a new starter.

-Rory

P.S. Judging from my new title, I've been baaaaad.

Shag has a NAPA# 4N-9240 - (1993 Mustang 5.0L 302 CID V8) installed with the T5. Retail for this starter is $144.00.

Update. I haven't changed the mini-starter yet. The clank happens on almost every start now and I also hear some extra noise... maybe from the coil inside the starter. I'm just waiting for this thing to die! I called NAPA and the '93 5.0 mini-starter dropped to a 3-yr warranty. So now, I'm leaning towards a PowerMaster Ultra Torque. I might take this old mini-starter out and examine it...

i don't know if you've made the starter change yet, but i recently got one from dbelectrical. aroudn $50 and can't be beat. i think i'm running around 16 deg of adv and it turns and sounds like a new ford. i weighed the old one and it came in at like 15lbs...the one from db is only 5lbs and is much smaller to boot. i took these pics the night of the swap.

Back