• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mini High-Torque Starter - Recommendations?

hivewax

I have a CHM Performance generic mini-starter that has been rebuilt once before. Metal clunk noises have been heard while starting, so the engine shop believes it's the starter ready to go bad. I bought a PowerMaster mini-starter before, back in '04-05, I think part #9604 - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-9604/ - which didn't fit in the bellhousing plate. Then, I turned the car to a custom shop that got the CHM starter. It looks now they changed #9604.

So, I'm looking for a good dependable mini starter that fits my application... 347ci, 10.6:1 compression ratio, T10 4-speed manual, 157-tooth flywheel. Here's a Summit search - http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=mini+starter+289&RC=100

Give me your thoughts... or better yet, what do you have? And, are there universal mini-starters that'll fit if I upgrade later on to a 4-speed toploader with or w/out Gear Vendors overdrive or 5-6 speed?

Starfury

Weird. I bought a Powermaster for my car years ago and I love it. I did have a slight application issue (I'm running an automatic starter in my 3sp manual car), but other than that, everything works great.

hivewax

Yes, I've read somewhere that the description is misleading and I would have to get the automatic version from PowerMaster.

hivewax

Now that is a sweet deal. Is it from the FRPP catalog? Do you happen to have the part no., so I can see if it fits a 157-tooth 4-speed manual? I'm guessing not.

6t6red

This is great timing for me also. Please Rick, tell us where you got your starter from. I was going to go this weekend and buy one from Autozone for a 93 5.0 but I will wait for your response. The preassure is on Rick. Inquiring minds need to know NOW. :ecit :lol

2ndgen

"gotstang" said:
Jumpin' galoots. $200 for a fairly ordinary starter? I'd either buy a junkyard Ford mini-starter and have it rebuilt by the local electrical shop ($80 total) or buy one from these guys:
http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1322-new-ford-mini-pmgr-starter-302-351-manual-transmissions-3223-sfd0012.aspx

Don't let the price fool you, there are Jeep guys out there with 10 year old units from these guys with no issues.

I have a PGMR (mini starter) from dbelectrical and I am quite pleased with it. Brand new and $50... even comes with a "conversion wire" for free if you are too lazy to crimp on ends yourself! I have a 10:1 393w and I run a lot of initial timing (18 degrees). Absolutely no problems starting it up - even when hot. Lighter, stronger, more header clearance... I would recommend this to anyone who needs a new starter.

-Rory

P.S. Judging from my new title, I've been baaaaad.

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Shag has a NAPA# 4N-9240 - (1993 Mustang 5.0L 302 CID V8) installed with the T5. Retail for this starter is $144.00.

hivewax

Update. I haven't changed the mini-starter yet. The clank happens on almost every start now and I also hear some extra noise... maybe from the coil inside the starter. I'm just waiting for this thing to die! I called NAPA and the '93 5.0 mini-starter dropped to a 3-yr warranty. So now, I'm leaning towards a PowerMaster Ultra Torque. I might take this old mini-starter out and examine it...

i don't know if you've made the starter change yet, but i recently got one from dbelectrical. aroudn $50 and can't be beat. i think i'm running around 16 deg of adv and it turns and sounds like a new ford. i weighed the old one and it came in at like 15lbs...the one from db is only 5lbs and is much smaller to boot. i took these pics the night of the swap.