• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mini-Starter to Solenoid Wiring

hivewax

I'm replacing a broken CHM mini-starter with a new mini-starter from DBElectrical - http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,7085.0.html - and the wiring is confusing me. From the pictures below, the big black cable on the left side post is connected to the CHM starter to the big bolt/nut.

On the DSE diagram, it looks different. The big black cable is with the positive battery cable on the RIGHT side post and there is a new wire on the LEFT side post of the solenoid. All of the wiring is on the solenoid's left side. This is what's confusing me.

Is there a difference between the left and right side posts? The positive battery cable is on the left side, but on the diagram, it's on the right. Do I follow the diagram?

tarafied1

the diagram is reversed (left and right) of what your looking at. Currently the Ford starter relay sends power to the the starter when you turn the key to start. Your black cable is only hot when in start. They want you to run an always hot wire to the new starter solenoid, so you need to put it on the side where the battery is currently hooked up to, in this case left side of photo. Your new wire will go where the black cable is now (right side of photo) to energize the new solenoid.

tarafied1

to answer your question about is there a difference between the sides on the Ford starter relay, yes. Do not switch the battery cable from left to right! Switch the black starter cable from right to left, and add your new wire to the right.

BobV

That DSE diagram is ^&%$*-up - the solenoid is pictured backwards....

Here is the correct way:
starter.jpg