• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mini starters

Any parts store will charge the battery fully (takes a day) and test it for free. Drop it off today while you wrestle with the old starter and pick it up tomorrow full charged and tested.
Be forwarned core starters are worth different amounts and most parts places want the same style starter for a core so you may run into that issue if you get a new mini and try to trade in a used maxi...
Jon

Hmm well, I replaced the cable that goes to the solenoid to starter (it was a little bit melted - too close to headers I guess but was like that long ago when I bought Gert) and when husband got home, we jumped Gert and after a few tries she eventually started. :confu Also no smoke coming from the jumper cables connected to the battery.

We let her run for about 5-10 minutes. Turned her on and off a few times. No noises..no whining..no grinding. Third time we turned the key off, she kept going. Motor didn't cut off. Took key out of ignition and still didn't turn off. I flipped battery switch and she shut off. Tried again.. started up no problems. Turned her off no problems.

Bad ignition cylinder? Of course the old ignition cylinder did the same thing, some times you could take the key out and keep driving. So I replaced it with a new one from Scott Drake. Maybe a stock ignition cylinder just isn't made to be connected to an electric fuel pump and there's some issue with having that pump wired to it?

I must say this.....once the key is turned to the off position....taking the key out of the switch will not do anything more.......

Does the starter disengage once the engine is started?

The ignition switch could be bad........they normally last a long time though. Did you changer the contact part of the switch or just the cylinder. The cylinder is a mechanical function only....

Something must be providing power to the coil for the motor to stay running. Could it be your MSD box?......at least I think you are running one....

Do you have the option of switching to a stock dist. and coil?

The only time I have had this happen it was the solenoid and yes 2 new ones in a row can do it, I've read a few posts of this happening to others. I'd try a different brand of solenoid from another store. I have O'reillys get me Standard or BWD electrical parts next day no charge, they seem to be heavier duty and usually have copper contacts.

If you are buying 'Wells' solenoids I would not be surprised if a dozen of them were bad in a row, sold those years ago and they were tin garbage.
Jon

Sounds like a bad solenoid to me as well. As was stated before, they can be bad right out of the box. The new solenoids are just cheaply made anymore, unfortunately.

Disconnecting the battery cuts the entire circuit, so your not narrowing down the problem. ... Something that might be worthy of trying is disconnect the crank wire from the solenoid when the starter runs on... if the starter stops, then you'll know you've got a bad ignition switch or something else going on in the crank circuit that is keeping the crank wire energized. If it continues to run without the crank wire attached, then there's a good chance you've got a sticking solenoid.

"6t9mach1" said:
Sounds like a bad solenoid to me as well. As was stated before, they can be bad right out of the box. The new solenoids are just cheaply made anymore, unfortunately.

+ 1

Disconnecting the battery cuts the entire circuit, so your not narrowing down the problem. ...

I know but it at least turned off the car. LOL

Something that might be worthy of trying is disconnect the crank wire from the solenoid when the starter runs on... if the starter stops, then you'll know you've got a bad ignition switch or something else going on in the crank circuit that is keeping the crank wire energized. If it continues to run without the crank wire attached, then there's a good chance you've got a sticking solenoid.

which wire is the crank wire? lol

Does the starter disengage once the engine is started?

Sometimes.

Something must be providing power to the coil for the motor to stay running. Could it be your MSD box?......at least I think you are running one....

I have no MSD box. Only MSD blaster 2 coil and ready to run dizzy.

Do you have the option of switching to a stock dist. and coil?

No

The "sometimes" of the starter disengaging sounds like a solenoid......try another one. Once the solenoid sticks, only removing the battery power or sometimes a good smack (on the solenoid) with a hammer stops the engine.

Just some info on mini starter.
This list is for 164th auto trans and 157th auto and manual trans as for T5 with 157th and T5bellhousing.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Here is a ref list between different brands.

Attachments

• MINI TORQUE STARTER ref.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 11
Back