• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mix up can spray paint cost?

gwstang

Just curious what it runs for at an auto-body supply store for a can of paint that matches what I sprayed it with several years (6 or so years, hell I can't even remember...guess I inhaled too much toxin :skul ). There are paint chips on the door edges/fenders etc. from parking lots, rocks on the highway and more. I can blend it in and then shoot a little clear over it. Does the can spray come with some clear mixed in like say a single stage does? I drive the shit out of my car anytime I want. It was made and restored as a restomod to drive! No garage queens here. :steer

Just going by what I've heard when the paint supply store was talking to others about this...About $25-$30. I think it's only a 4 ounce mix and pretty sure clear it's all one mix with clear. I prefer to keep some basecoat on clear coat on hand. For very small chips I've mixed a few drops of base coat and used a very fine artist brush to "fill" the chip. You can usually even dab a bit of clear so it stands a little proud of the chip, then wetsand and polish it out.

I've never used the premixed spray cans, but it would seem to me that they are good alternative for a solid colors versus a metalic or pearl color.

"stangg" said:
Just going by what I've heard when the paint supply store was talking to others about this...About $25-$30. I think it's only a 4 ounce mix and pretty sure clear it's all one mix with clear. I prefer to keep some basecoat on clear coat on hand. For very small chips I've mixed a few drops of base coat and used a very fine artist brush to "fill" the chip. You can usually even dab a bit of clear so it stands a little proud of the chip, then wetsand and polish it out.

I've never used the premixed spray cans, but it would seem to me that they are good alternative for a solid colors versus a metalic or pearl color.

Well dang! I do have very fine metallic and the pearls in mine. I still have about 1/2 quart of the original so I hope they can mix it from that. It is a single stage with 4 coats of clear on it. Damn people and their big asses throwing their door into my car so their lard ass can exit their vehicle! :soapboxrant It doesn't matter if I park way out in the lot, some idiot has to park right up against it and wham.

"gwstang" said:
Well dang! I do have very fine metallic and the pearls in mine. I still have about 1/2 quart of the original so I hope they can mix it from that. It is a single stage with 4 coats of clear on it. Damn people and their big asses throwing their door into my car so their lard ass can exit their vehicle! :soapboxrant It doesn't matter if I park way out in the lot, some idiot has to park right up against it and wham.

Can you still use the original? If that's not enough than have some mixed than on the last coat use the original.

Back